27: The First Trial (Part Five)

Though climbing wasn't my strong suit, between Brunhild's instruction and teleporting ability, my Asgardian strength and Foreseti and Loki's distraction, the descendant up the mountain side was relatively smooth, when we couldn't find hand holds, we made them, digging out hands into the stone to create the path we needed. This I hated doing, I still didn't know the limits of my Asgardian strength and I feared the falling rocks would attract attention. And even worse than that, I hated how slow our pace was-the hour had to be at least half gone by now. But even though that fear gnawed at my heart, I kept moving upwards, never letting my eyes drop to see how far I'd come. I'd never make progress if I kept pausing to look backwards.

Brunhild swung up over a sharp ledge, nimble and sure. I envied that as I did the same, but with far less grace and rather than get to my feet, I laid out on my stomach, trying to catch my breath as my limbs trembled with exhaustion. My wounded shoulder in particular was screaming at me to stop though my brain knew stopping was impossible.

"We're nearly to the summit," Brunhild said.

"The what?" I asked, frowning as the logo for the film company came to mind.

"The highest point of the mountain."

I was thankful my face was already red; it helped hide the blush that was creeping into my cheeks. "Oh."

"Don't they have mountain climbing on Earth?"

"Yeah but not in-." I stopped cold as two men massive materialized in front of me, bearing their teeth. They had to be twins or at the least related given their shared scraggly brown hair, small eyes and python-sized arms. One carried a club, the other an axe and I knew this wasn't going to be good. I barely had time to yell a warning at Brunhild before they lunged towards me.

Adrenaline overruled my exhaustion and I bolted to the side, narrowly avoiding the punishing blow from heavy metal club. I felt the vibrations carry through the rock as I pivoted, turning to face the threat fear pumping through my system. A few more hits like that and they'd knock this ledge clear off the mountain side.

Perhaps that was there goal and here I was, without a weapon or shield. Great. "Suzume!" Brunhild yelled as she caught a hit from the axe on her shield, bending under the harsh blow. "Go!"

I can't, I thought as Club moved on me, dangerous intent in his eyes. If I started climbing now, I would not be fast enough, he'd grab me and pull me back down. The steep drops on either side of ledge left me with no other chance of evasion. I had no weapon and I knew his was magically enhanced, just like the arrow I'd been hit with earlier. I couldn't deflect it with my bare hands, I'd just break the bones. So where did that leave me? I was up against Goliath without a slingshot.

As he lunged at me bellowing like a bull, the world slowed down as I recalled the last part of that story. David also had a stone and so did I, sort of. I tensed knowing I had one shot and the moment he came close, I leapt up, airborne as he crashed into the rock face that I had been behind me.

The ground rushed up to meet me and I rolled, striking every sore point in my already exhausted body. Dazed, I shook my head, tasting something coppery and sweet on my tongue as I looked over at Brunhild and my confusion gave way to fury as I saw her block another blow from Axe. Even from here, I could see the pain on her face as her shield arm trembled. I had two choices, climb the mountain without her and let her fend for herself and intervene. When I heard her cry out, I made my choice.

I scrambled to my feet and ran towards them. Thankfully he didn't see me coming until I was jumping onto his back. Instantly, he roared but I hadn't spent all that time training and working out for nothing. I threw my arms around his neck, a perfect choke hold that would've made Matthew proud. There was a metallic clatter as he dropped his axe, his thick hands wrenching at my arms as the need to breathe overruled everything else.

"Brunhild!" I shouted as I threw my legs around his torso to stabilize myself. He'd throw me off sooner or later and we needed him down before that happened. Thankfully her name was the only stimulant she needed with a brutal swing, her hammer made contact with the man's knee and I let go, pushing off his back with my legs as he fell forward, coughing and moaning in pain. He wasn't knocked out, but even now, his knee was swelling; he'd never be able to follow us in that state.

Swiftly, I kicked his axe away and it skidded over the lip of the ledge. Even if he couldn't walk, I didn't want to risk him throwing anything. "Suzume," Brunhild said softly, sympathy in her dark eyes. "You should've climbed the mountain. You're not going to make it now."

"It's not over yet!" I growled, more venom in my voice than Brunhild deserved but my vision was red with fury as Yuki's lifeless, bloody body flashed into my memory. If I failed this trial and I failed her and disgraced her memory and that was unacceptable. I recalled Loki's parting words and put my fingers to my lips. I wasn't even sure if he could hear me, but it was my only chance now. I whistled, the piercing sound carrying across the dry air and I waited, my blood congealing like tar in my veins. This was my last shot and if it failed...

There was an loud caw that interrupted my thoughts and I looked up towards the sky and for a moment froze as I tried to process what I was seeing. It looked like a golden eagle but given that it was the size of an SUV, I knew that could not be true. I didn't have much time to dwell on the matter Loki swooped down, his sharp talons curling around my shoulders and in seconds, my feet were off the ground, I was airborne, the flat ledge I had been standing on growing smaller as we gained altitude.

I refused to look down as we sped through the air, keeping my eyes firmly on the summit of the mountain and when Loki touched down,, I stayed upright, fearful that a misstep would end with me falling off the peak. I stood, trembling with exhaustion and trepidation as I looked out at the vast horizon. Before I even had a chance to register how amazing the view was though, a gravely voiced sounded at my side.

"Beautiful isn't it?" I turned my head and saw Thor standing beside me in a sleek black suit and white button down.

"Ask me again why I'm less exhausted." I advised, voice cracking as I fought back tears. "Did I pass?"

Thor smiled. "Yes. You did." He reached out, grabbing my dirty hand in his own. "Come on, there's some people who'd like to congratulate you."

***********************************

And we're at the end of the first trial! Suzume has made it past round one! I have to admit though, I think I need some sleep just as much as here after writing this five part sequence lol.

Write on! :)