{41} REUNITED AND IT FEELS SO GOOD *INSERT INTENSE GUITAR SOLO* {41}

So many thoughts were rushing through my head as the taxi pulled to the curb outside of the airport. Pushing most of them aside, I fished over some cash and ducked out of the cab. I tugged my phone out of my pocket and scrolled through my messages with Annabeth, trying to find which terminal she would be waiting at with her parents.

As I found the message, a notification popped up saying she had just texted me. I slid my finger to go to the newest message and read it over.

Just arrived :) Dad and Helen went to grab Starbucks with my brothers but I'm waiting by the bags. See you soon!

I was too nervous to reply, so I shut my phone off and tucked it away. I headed directly to where she was, ready to finally be reunited with my best friend.

I saw Annabeth from a distance and slowed my fast gait, taking her in and noticing all of her differences. Her blonde hair was a shade or two lighter and quite a bit longer. It was still restrained back into a pony tail, her typical go-to so that it wasn't annoying her. Her complexion was much tanner and she seemed to be emitting a healthy glow. She was wearing a plain tee shirt and shorts, her usual summer attire. Oh man, did I miss her or what?

I picked up my pace and made it over to her faster than I imagined I would. I sat beside her on the bench and waited for her to look up from her phone.

"Annabeth?" I said quietly.

I noticed a cord trailing from her phone and realized that she had earbuds in her ears. I gently tugged the left one and it fell out.

She scowled and whipped her head to face me. "What are you - Seaweed Brain!"

Her face melted into a beautiful grin and her grey eyes lit up. She jumped up and I stood with her, smiling like a little boy.

"Hey," I greeted calmly.

She punched my arm. "How are you?" she asked. "Oh, Percy, I missed you!"

I grinned and pulled her into my arms. I held her, squeezing her tightly. I traced my hands along the muscles of her back and inhaled her comforting lemon scent. 

"I missed you too," I whispered into her ear.

Annabeth retracted and cupped my jaw with her hand. She tilted my head down and looked up at me. I tried to keep my expression neutral, but my pulse was racing and I could feel my ears heating up.

"You look so different," she decided. "You're taller, and tanner, and your face is more...you know."

I wiggled my eyebrows. "More what? More attractive? Hot, per se?"

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "No, I was going to say more mature."

I laughed. "It's good to have you back," I teased, wrapping my arms around her once more. I just couldn't seem to get enough of her.

"Is your family expecting you any time soon?" I asked, parting from her.

She shook her head. "Nope. Helen said something about letting me have some alone time, and I don't really have that much of a curfew. We can go out if you'd like. It is your birthday, after all."

I smirked and grabbed her hand. "I have an idea."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Really, Percy?" Annabeth retorted. "It's your birthday, and the first day we've seen each other in a month, and you choose to come here? The pizza parlor?"

I grinned and wiggled my eyebrows. "Yep. Let's go inside."

I tugged her behind me by the crook of her elbow and she reluctantly followed. I could tell she was expecting something a bit more extraordinary, but I was convinced that she would end up enjoying what I had planned even more.