Chapter 11

** GHOST POV **

I'm usually level headed, never letting my emotions come to the surface. I've learned many years ago what happens when you make decisions based on emotion, and the result is disastrous and painful, a memory that I longed to forget.

Many years ago, I learned how to be able to detach myself from how I was feeling and only create a surface level connection with my emotions. It was this detachment that made me strong, made me able to make difficult decisions in the blink of an eye without my emotions interfering. It's what made me a great leader, and an even greater killer. 

I use to envy my crew, and their capacity to feel emotions on such a strong level. But the longer I was around them, I realized that feeling emotions was more of a curse than it was a blessing.

Granted, I could still feel some of emotions. I could feel happy, but not elated. I could feel joy, but not bliss. I could feel sad, but not depressed. My feelings could only impact me a fraction of what they should be able to, and lasted for what I felt to be only a few seconds. Except anger. That, I felt to the fullest if not more intensely.

Out of all my emotions, fury and rage were the only thing that could completely consume me, but I didn't mind. Feeling such a strong surge of emotion made me feel human, a somewhat delightful change from the constant numbness in my soul. But over the years, I've learned to control that primal side, never letting it claw its way to the surface to reveal the monster that I truly am.

But as I looked into Damon's piercing blue eyes, I realized that this man makes me feel...uneasy. Not uneasy in a distrustful kind sense, but more so uneasy due to the fact that whenever I'm around him, an undecipherable mix of emotions stirs within me, a mix of emotions I've never encountered before.

Granted, he is attractive, very attractive, and the normal biological response from a female would be to get flustered or maybe nervous in the presence of a handsome man, but that's a reaction that I have not experienced. I've been around dozens, if not hundreds of attractive men in my lifetime, and I've yet to see the day that one of them peaked my interest, or made me feel anything at all for that matter.

But around Damon, I felt something attempting to resurface within me, emotions that I've buried down deep into the dark abyss of my soul. In the elevator, when he wrapped his arms around me, I momentarily felt as if my body was about to explode, that my stomach was fluttering from his touch, his smell, and his closeness. The emotion lasted only for a moment, but it left me feeling more confused than ever. I couldn't imagine if I felt that at it's highest intensity like others do... I think I'd vomit.

"Fox, pull up every file you can find on Martino's operation and his colleagues." I ordered as I tore my gaze away from Damon's, reaching for another much needed cigarette.

"No need. I have the information we need on my laptop. We just need to go to the hotel and grab our suitcases." Angelo said as he looked over at Fox.

Rebel and Storm stood up, and exited the room. They quickly returned with three suitcases in their hands, and threw them on the floor next to the table. It was obvious the bags have been ransacked, clothing stuck out on the side, and one was even half opened. The men raised their eyebrows at this invasion of privacy as Storm and Rebel smirked.

"You went through our things?" Gio asked in disbelief as he placed his hand on his chest to pretend that he was hurt while he stared at Rebel and Storm. 

"Had to make sure you weren't hiding anything." Storm said nonchalantly as he shrugged.

"Would have never taken you as a boxer kinda guy. You look more like a brief boy." Rebel said to Gio before she clicked her tongue and took her seat next to him.