Chapter 24

"Please, let me go! Please!" I cried, trying to yank my arm out of the man's grip. The man and his partner laughed, then they did something that had me screaming. They pulled my dark cloak away from my body, leaving me in my simple underdress— something a woman shouldn't wear outside her home because of the simplicity of the gown and the amount of skin it exposed. It hung off the shoulders and showed a fair amount of cleavage with its long sleeves and its colour, which was a pure white.

Why hadn't I listen to mother? Why hadn't I remained at home and why had I not changed my clothing? Why was I so lazy?

"Stop! Please!" I thrashed in the man's arms as his partner ran a hand over my neck. His eyes zoomed in on a spot on my neck, then he let a dangerous smirk curve his lips up.

"A Warrior's promised bride." he said, and his partner laughed. "Now that's a catch."

I gasped, afraid of what he could do to me. He saw the temporary mark on my neck, His mark— two black daggers crossing each other. I was told that since I became a Warrior's promised bride, I would be thought of as a catch, since I'd be used against the Warrior.

I was a Warrior's promised bride, a Warrior's weakness.

"Let go! Stop it!" I screamed, tears burning my eyes. The men both laughed at my pleas, before the man who saw my mark pulled a small dagger out of the belt of his pants. My heartbeat accelerated as I felt my body temperature dropping.

"Please, no! Please!" I cried harder, tears falling out as he neared me with the dagger pointing towards my underdress. I thrashed violently, trying to free myself from the man holding me, even though I knew I wasn't getting out of this one.

Suddenly, a tearing sound rippled before the man with the small dagger cried in pain, his knees buckling and betraying him as he fell flatly on the ground. I looked ahead, and a gasp escaped me.

"You should know that laying a hand on a Warrior's promised bride means death." he said with a visibly clenched jaw, his golden eyes blazing with fury. He was fuming, seeing his promised bride being touched by another man boiled his blood.

The man holding me threw me harshly on the ground, causing me to yelp in pain. I couldn't stop my tears, I was in so much fear and pain. I heard an angry sound, no doubt being His, before a tortured scream echoed through my ears. I closed my eyes tightly, feeling my body shake uncontrollably.

I panicked and sobbed when I felt arms reaching out for my body. I wanted to go home, I didn't want to be here. I wanted to go home!

"It's all right, it's me. Don't be afraid." he cooed, gathering me in his arms and wrapping my dark cloak around me firmly, stopping the cold wind from biting my sensitive flesh. I held on to him tightly, burying my head into his warm chest as my sobs and tears subsided. The furious beating of his heart calmed me, it did many things to me. I wanted him to know that, yet I didn't know how to show it for I was merely... a naive girl.