Chapter Seventeen

After a very intense dinner with Bella's parents, they settle down in the home theater, with blankets and snacks. Bella cuddled right up to Hale's side as if she'd been doing that her whole life. And it felt right to both of them. She was comfortable and safe and he enjoyed her lemony scent. Bella chose some action movie Hale had no interest in, instead he spent his time watching her reactions. Not that the movie was bad, he was surprised that she likes action movies. But she never ceases to amaze him.

She would jump at suspenseful parts and talk during others, criticizing the character's actions. She was really disappointed in the female lead's submissive tendencies and mumbled about damsels in distress being over used. She voiced what she thought and groaned when the characters didn't do what she wanted. She was so engaged in the movie she didn't even notice him staring. She was far more entertaining and interesting than the movie anyway.

He took this time to study the small details of her face. He found himself mesmerized by the dip in her dramatic cupid's bow. His eyes lingered on her pale pink lips and trailed up to her eyes that he saw at night in his dreams. He's never looked at a girl the way he looks at Bella. No one ever caught his attention. They all just knitted together and he has been trying to figure out what made him notice her all of a sudden.

Looking at her he can tell why. She's absolutely stunning. In every way possible. He replays the moment they met eyes over and over in his mind, replaying the moment the fog of hair extensions, squeaky laughter and desperation cleared to reveal her. It was like all of a suddenly he didn't just exist in his world, he was grounded. No longer a space cadet. And it boiled down to her.

When the movie is over Bella yawns, her eyes fluttering shut for a second before they look at Hale. "Did you like the movie? I'm sorry I talk during movies I should have told you."

"It was good, much better with the constant commentary." Hale teases, pulling her closer into his side. She snuggle up against him, seemingly falling right into place next to him.

"Har har." Bella grumbles as the next movie they picked begins. Her body begins to relax, her eyes drooping.

"Bella, Dom and I were wondering if you would help us plan a birthday party for my niece and his brother."

Bella's eyes fly open. "You have a niece?"

Hale blinks, staring blankly at the screen. "Yeah, my older sister's daughter."

"I didn't even know you had siblings." Bella murmurs, shifting so she can look at him. "Tell me about them."

Hale pauses, his answer hesitant. This would be the first time he's shared anything about his personal life with anyone outside of the band. He chews the inside of his cheek. It wasn't that he doesn't trust Bella, sharing personal things meant makes attachments. He wants that with her, but the block he's trained himself to use halts his answer. He loves talking about Mia.

"I practically raised Mia, I was ten or eleven when she was born and my sister was heavy into drugs at the time." Hale flinches at how bad that sounds, but Bella doesn't judge him, she doesn't recoil in disgust.

"She left for rehab after Mia was born after quitting during the pregnancy." He adds, so his sister doesn't sound like that bad of a person. "My family raised her after that, I raised her. I blamed my sister for all the health problems Mia had and our relationship has never recovered. But Mia went off to an equestrian camp for the fall and she's coming back just in time for her birthday."