Chapter Nineteen

"I want to warn you. Signing this contract means that you will no longer be a small town band. This will be your life. The cameras, the screaming fans. The upkeep of public appearances." King talks with his hands, his rings glittering in the light. Omar takes over, as their manager. 

It seemed surreal that they were talking about being the next big thing already. They haven't even signed the contract. It felt so unreal to be sitting here. Especially after they formed the band as a joke, in a garage with nothing but some buckets for drums, acoustic guitars and their voices. Hale had always dreamed of having a band, ever since that day he angrily wrote on a piece of paper that he was ready to die and discovered the art of music writing. Did he really believe that dream would go anywhere at the time? Not at all.

And now he was sitting in front of a contract, ready to sign to make his career in music. If his dad could see him now he knows he would be proud. Maybe it's not fire fighting and saving people lives directly but he's going to enjoy what he does and maybe help people along the way. Whatever happens, Hale is going to put his all into it and that's all his dad ever wanted him to do, work hard for his way in life.

"We're willing." He nods, "As long as we aren't forced to change who we are." He eyes King.

King smiles, a friendly smile, with only undertones of just how deadly he can be. Jinx shudders. "Trust me, those are not my intentions. You guys have a good thing going already, why mess that up?"

"And it's in the contract that we don't start touring until after we graduate?" Dom speaks up, eyeing the contract in King's hand.

"As I said, I want you guys to build fan bases, I'll have you travelling every other weekend; but I value education." King assures, sliding the contract to Omar, who pulls out his reading glasses. King likes how savvy the kid is.

Jinx sits up straighter, leaning over Omar's shoulder. Hale eyes him, Omar hates people looking over his shoulder. But instead of pushing Jinx away he turns his head, kisses Jinx's temple and goes back to reading. The simple gesture makes Jinx turn into a tomato. To distract himself, he turns to King.

"And you'll be paying for travel?" Jinx squeaks, stiffening when King's eyes scan him, a knowing glint in his eye.

King nods, "For you and guests."

Jinx purses his lips, nodding. "Week days off?"

"A celebrity is never really off, but I won't schedule performances during the week. Talk shows, interviews, that will be up to your new manager." King shrugs, leaning back in his chair.  Omar's head snaps up, his mouth parting to object. "You need to focus on the band. Not managing. Don't worry you can pick your manager."

Omar pursed his lips and goes back to looking over the contract. There's a moment of silence as Omar thoroughly looks it over. Hale's mind drifts to Bella, he's been itching to call her and tell her something good. But he's held back, waiting until they sign the contract. He could tell everyone was just waiting to call their families. Hale personally couldn't wait to tell Gran. She would be so proud of him and Omar.

Omar picks up a pen from the table and signs his name at the bottom next to his printed name. "It's good, guys. We did it."

The rest of them signed and they said their goodbyes, then everyone stepped out and hands went to phones. Hale should have called Gran first, he knew that. But with Bella having a bad day he wanted to give her some good news. In fact at the moment of dialing, he didn't even think about calling anyone else. He was just too excited to tell Bella. He felt like a kid bouncing up and down as the phone rang, as if he were waiting to show her some stick people drawing he did.