Death of a Freedom Fighter

"You're a Freedom Fighter." as Aangs words rang through Jet's ears, Jet remembered everything - every painful memory of his family, every bit of rightous hatred he had for the Fire Nation, and every memory of love he had for the Freedom Fighters - and for Katara.

     As Long Feng's grip on him finally broke, for the last time in his life - Jet fought for what he did his whole life. Jet fought for freedom. Jet launched his sword at Long Feng but was no match for his  counter attack.

     Jet was collapsed on the ground as Long Feng fled. "I'm sorry Aang." Jet managed to say as his friends rushed to his side.

     The only comfort Jet had was in Katara's heartbroken eyes looking into his, and her hands on a wound he knew would be fatal. There was so much Jet wanted to say, but for the first time in his life, he lacked the courage to. Katara's painful gaze turned to their friends, "This isn't good."

     Jet heard Smellerbee speaking behind him, but all he could focus on was Katara. Her bittersweet gaze, her soft healing hands, and the love she still felt for him.

     "There's no time. Just go. We'll take care of him. He's our leader." Longshot convinced the rest of the group.

     Jet turned to Katara's eyes for the last time.

     "Don't worry, Katara I'll be fine." Jet lied.

     Those words hurt Jet worse than anything he had ever felt. Jet wanted to tell her - beg her to stay. Jet wanted to break and show her the fear he was hiding through his egotistical smile. He loved her so much, and she was the only person he wanted to be with as he died. But Jet knew that Katara had to help Aang. Crushing the Dai Li was more important than comforting him.

     Katara and the others left Jet. He heard Smellerbee crying behind him, and suddenly, all of Jet's fear turned to hatered. Jet despised the Dai Li, he despised the Fire Nation, and he despised himself. Jet hated that he would never see the end of the war, that he would never fight again, and most of all he hated that he couldn't tell Katara how much he loved her - that he would die with so much to tell her.

     And with that pain and hatred, Jet died. He had no closure, no sanctuary, only the fading thought of Katara as life left him.