66 - Boundaries

Asher Baker's Point Of View

I've been a knight for nearly a year. I've not seen war since I was a child, but I remember it vividly.

Still, more vividly than that, were my memories of Augustus.

Augustus, the Hero that saved not only me, but also my family, and nearly all of the citizens. Yet... he was so small and frail... though... I guess it would be more appropriate to say 'she' now.

I doubted I would ever see Augustus again, for everyone but the guard captain himself said so. The knights, the guards, the people in the city. The nobles too said Augustus was a man never to be seen again... we suspected and worried for his death... so you can imagine the shock when I was once again face to face with the small and frail figure, that seemed so much bigger in my memory.

With a presence attempting to rival the sun she stopped a fight with merely a word... and barged into my life once more.

I was certain I watched a ghost for a moment, for the man I sought to serve was smaller than any soldier I'd seen, but he spoke clearly, yet with a voice bright as trickling water, and silky hair like the smoothest stream. Even the lips looked much to soft for any man, no even a boy.

By the time I saw the skirt I already had a feeling something was wrong. I thought for a moment everything was clear, as I remembered Augustus' twin sister 'Lily'. Of course... my delusion didn't last long after I noticed the fish of water swimming casually around her head... I knew that fish, and it looked back at me just for a moment... together with her speaking my name... there was no doubt left... only shock.

So much clicked too fast, so to speak. The reasons why Augustus disappeared, and why none could find him. Why Lord Celeste wanted out of the royal engagement as well... and why the guard captain had told me how hard I would need to work... yet... I filled with regret, for if she married into the royal family, then I would not be able to stay by her side. Someone else would... but... that someone was not by her side right then.

My last wonder was if she was the same as she had been back then. If she, as last time, would not see me, but shadows instead. Though she smiled, once again she didn't see me clearly... and she saw no one but me at all. I decided to remake that vow, to force her to recognize me. I knew I pushed something as I did, for she left right after, and the next morning she seemed avoiding.

She still spoke politely... respectfully too... but she was the same as she had been eight years ago...

—-*—-

The next day Lily stiffened with alert when we reached the dancing hall. Honestly, I was not comfortable leaving her alone. I know that she is well versed in the art of the sword, and just from her noticing something, I know that her instincts are sharp... but she has no escort other than my self imposed guard. At least the future head knight will be there. He is to be her future bodyguard... so hopefully things will be fine...

They were not.

—-*—-

Let's ignore the fact that Lily-sama took a walk around the school late in the evening without anyone else with her... and let's ignore that the trip was following the school's outer wall... and by the god above, let's forget that the public bath house is near one of said outer walls...

And... let's not talk too much about the guys panicking at the distant sight of a girl approaching the baths and cautiously rushing out with only towels around them...

I... Admit I panicked a bit... no I... before that... I apologize for doubting her motives... at least everything worked out fine. Once she started interestedly commenting on which parts of training people needed to focus on more, the other guys lost a bit of their 'excitement'... of course, since it is Lily-sama I had to get out as well... a bit too rushed to get dressed as well...

But as I expected from Lily-sama, she was completely immune to half naked bodies. I suppose it is unavoidable... but I want her to feel at least a little caution.

If nothing else, it appeared that the awkward situation amused her and lightened her mood a bit... I escorted her past the bathing house... but I couldn't let go of the feeling that she was... angry... or perhaps disappointed.

—-*—-

The next day I escorted her to class, but stopped her companion, Magdalin Ruche, a viscount's daughter as she was leaving for her own class.

"Honorable Magdalin, did something bad happen last night?"

She was closer to my rank by far, but as she seems quite fond of Lily-sama, I thought that she may tell me, since I act as Lily's escort knight. Of course, it was mere hope.

"...Lionel Tepet tried pushing a boundary he shouldn't," she replied while narrowing her eyes at me.

"Just like you... Don't think I do not see what you're doing. You knew those words would affect her... if something bad happens because of you... I won't forgive you..."

Unexpected words came from the small girl's lips. Fiercely protective, but with hints of worry.

She had noticed as well.

I still believe that it cannot be left as it is, but I have not the rank to say this to Magdalin-sama.

It is a difference in belief, I suppose... of when to act and when to keep silent... but no matter how I would worry, I cannot watch that person stay like this... not after everything she has done for the people I grew up with.

As such, I apologize, Magdalin-sama, I cannot fulfill your wish.