Mismatched Compatibility (20)

I think the song's perfect for this chapter! I totally recommend it to be played while reading this! :)

_____________

Dana:

I laughed out loud, remembering Nigel's joke during dinner. He was quite a humorous person.

“It wasn't even that funny.”

I quickly looked at Ethan who was walking beside me.

“Yes, it was,” I said.

“How come you never laugh at my jokes like that?”

I gasped. “You make jokes?”

“I'm not surprised you didn't get them,” he shrugged, mocking pity.

“I wonder if anyone got them at all,” I muttered.

“Hey. I come up with the best lines, you know.”

Oh, don't I know it.

“Are you afraid of heights?” he suddenly asked.

“No,” I answered thoughtfully.

“Good, because I wanna try out the roller coaster first,” he stated, increasing his footsteps as he entered the large arched entrance of the carnival.

“But we just ate!” I protested, following close behind him.

“That's half the challenge,” he grinned.

I opened my mouth to say something but I stopped as I took in where we were. There were lights everywhere I looked. We were inside the carnival at last! It was everything I had imagined it would be at night.

“Wow,” I mumbled, as I took in my surroundings.

“What, never been to a carnival before?” chuckled Ethan.

“Not really,” I admitted.

He stopped laughing.

“You serious?”

“Yes.”

He gawked at me, causing me to roll my eyes.

“I've been to Disneyland once,” I told him. My eyes wandered around the booths and rides from afar. I added, as if I caught my breath, “But it wasn't anything like this.”

I liked this so much more, to be honest. I felt like I was in one of those chick flicks I loved watching. I already getting giddy just thinking about it.

“So I'm like, your first?” concluded Ethan slowly.

I winced and looked at him immediately. He was smirking. My cheeks flushed in embarrassment.

“Don't put it like that.”

He laughed. “I tell it how I see it, babe.”

“You see sexual innuendos everywhere,” I scoffed.

“I'm a sexual person. I can't help it.”

I sighed, my eyes wandering around the place once more. I blinked as I saw something that caught my eye.

“I want to shoot a gun,” I murmured.

“At me?” asked Ethan, surprised.

“No,” I replied, shaking my head. I pointed towards a booth not too far away from us. “There! I want to try that first before we go to the roller coaster.”

He considered it. “Deal.”

We went to the booth and waited for the other couple to finish. The man won the woman he was with a little toy. She kissed him giddily as they walked away.