Chapter 9

Previously

My anger deflates a little. "You should've asked before you approached her. All these years I have kept her hidden. You will not be the reason that my brothers discover her".

-----------------------------------------

Triton POV

My father is worried that I would lead my sister to her death. I made a vow that I would protect her. She is part of my family now.

I got to know her and I can't help but love the little bundle of joy. My father looks at her differently than he does anyone else. He really loves her. He cares for all his children and is sad when he loses one, but with her, it seems different, deeper somehow.

If my uncles and the rest of the gods discover her, if anyone dares to harm her, there will be hell to pay. Not only will they have me to deal with, but our father as well. Despite his easy-going attitude, he truly is a fearsome warrior and king. He is ruthless, cares very little for mortals beside his lovers. And if push came to shove, he could beat Zeus in a battle any day.

My father has no desire to rule over all the gods. He has his kingdom and is overworked already, he does not need to add more onto his plate.

I swore to my father that I would not see Rhea come to any harm.

"I came to care for her," is all I said.

He nodded and said, "I see."

"My son, I truly hope that is true," he continued.

I asked my father if I can continue coming to visit Rhea, and after some reluctance, he agreed.

Rhea doesn't suspect anything I believe. If she knows the truth then her demi-god scent will intensify and monsters will come after her. Luckily she has that foul-smelling stepfather that Sally married, his stench protects her and Sally from the monsters.

Rhea really wants to meet our father. I can tell that she will adore our father just as he adores her.

I hope the other gods will never discover her.

Rhea POV

When I sensed my father I so wished that I could see him. I wished that he would come to see me again. My body was still so young when I last saw him. Triton is really great. When he came back he looked really pale. I knew that dad didn't know that he came to see me, and I am curious to know how he reacted. When I sensed my dad, I could feel his power, his emotions, he obviously felt rage and anger, I was really worried about Triton.

Sometimes I wish I could just come clean to all of them and tell them that I was reborn.  That I was brought to be here for my dad.

Sally POV

Rhea seems lost in thought. "A penny for your thoughts?" I ask.

She turns to me quickly, realizing she zoned out. "Hi mom, I was just thinking about what it would've been like if dad was here." I sigh sadly.

She and Poseidon really bonded when she was a baby. I was heartbroken when he left the first time before Rhea was born, but nothing compared to watching Rhea's heartbreak when Poseidon left. She was more reserved for a toddler after that.

She spoke about him often but it has become less and less of an occurrence. I married Gabe to protect her from monsters, and I really wish that I could protect her from his very presence.

I spoke to Triton about Gabe, and he was upset that Rhea was around him. Triton understood though.

"Mum, it's my birthday in four days. Can we invite Triton to come as well? I know that we normally spend time together on our birthdays."

"Of course we can sweetheart. It will be fun. We can go to the beach together, enjoy the sun and eat lots of bubblegum ice-cream."

Triton came to me and told me that Poseidon knows. "How did he react?"

"Better than I thought he would. He was extremely angry. I thought that I would die with one look. I explained to him what I was doing here, that I wanted to get to know Rhea and that I've come to care for her."

"Your father is not used to this. He has never been in a situation like this before Triton. He wants to protect her and was afraid that you would hurt her because of jealousy," I tell him. Poseidon and I discussed this on many occasions and he feared that Triton or Aphitrite would kill her out of spite and jealousy.