Chapter 19

They sat in silence as the clouds rumbled in a distance. It seemed rain was expected in the next few days. 

Jza bit her lip and wondered what her future would look like. She had nowhere to go. If her sisters were traitors then what was she? Her easy acceptance of her living conditions had sullied her reputation beyond repair. On top of that the new complication forced upon her had added to her confusion. Would she drop dead the moment her father executed Tarquin? Would he even care his traitorous daughter was bound to his enemy? What a muddle her life was. Fate was a cruel mistress indeed. 

"What should we do next?" Jza asked, trying to banish the image of her father looking at her with uncontrolled wrath. She needed something to distract herself with.

"Enjoy the peaceful weather?" Tarquin exhaled nonchalantly with his amber eyes still closed. He was still reclining with his back to the stone wall while Jza was now sitting cross legged leaning against the same wall. Her view was of the clouds swirling a long distance away. 

"An upcoming thunderstorm is peaceful?" Jza scrunched her nose as she spoke. 

"Yes," Tarquin paused contemplatively, "It cleanses everything." 

"Not the blood off ones hands," The Princess replied sharply. Tarquin's mouth curved into a smile as he looked at her. 

"I am only living upto the name you have given me. I am afterall the beast."

"At least you understand what I call you. I never know what to make of the names you refer to me as," Jza complained. The use of the other language grated on her sometimes. He did not leave many clues about what he thought of her. She often assumed he found her helplessness amusing but then why would he care if she lived or died. Was there a human heart beating under the lethal beast?

"A tit for tat then since you are determined to keep your real name from me," The man answered with a shrug before lowering his voice so much so that she had to lean in to hear him, "But I can tell you, my solnyshko, if you so desire."

"No. That is quite unnecessary," The girl said as she straightened her back, suddenly aware of how his voice changed mid sentence. The intimacy in his voice and tone unsettled her more than her near death experience did. Death was always looming on the horizon circling viciously in her mind but his altered behaviour always caught her off guard. 

"The sun shall be rising soon," The man observed, ignoring her discomfort.

"This may be your castle now but I am sure you do not want to be caught by your guests on a stroll especially with me before daybreak," Jza hinted very strongly they should be returning soon. The sky was indeed brightening and she had no wish to be seen in her disheveled state. She gathered her skirts and rose slowly,  resembling an unsteady child. 

"Why do you always assume I care about their opinions," The Lord exclaimed looking less pensive and more diverted while he followed her example. He brushed off errant patches of dust on his uniform and offered his arm to the Princess who took it immediately. The weakness in her bones lingered too much for even her pride to burden her.