Chapter 11

(Nathaniel's POV)

Because it was early in the morning, we were supposed to be back at the apartment at around seven.

But because I was with Lindsey, it could've been days.

"Would you just read me the directions?" I fumed.

Her eyes were wide we I quickly glanced at her. Sure, she was pretty. But definitely not the most beautiful girl I've ever seen. Than why did you kiss her? A nasty voice sniped in my head.

Why did I kiss her? I don't know, to be honest.

She just made me so angry sometimes, I could never like Lindsey Garland. But as I looked at her, I could never deny that she was pretty.

~~~~~~~~

(Lindsey's POV)

For the next four hours, we sat in silence while listening to the latest songs on the radio. That is, until Shawn Mendes's Life of the party came on.

When the chorus came, I was ready. "We don't have to be ordinary! Make your best mistakes." I sang.

Nathaniel turned it off, and cringed. I crossed my arms. "Is there a problem?"

He looked over at me, that stupid boyish smirk glistening for a second, before he returned his eyes to the road. "I could deal with the weirdo in the box."

He glanced at me. "But a duet between the two of you, is hard to handle."

I fluttered my eyes. "You're just jealous."

He smirked. "Of what? Him?" Nathaniel shook his head. "Never."

"Mm hm."

"I'm an amazing singer, for your information."

I smirked. "Sure."

He reached over, and hit the button. Immediately, a slow song blasted through the stereo. When the chorus came on, he started to sing.

When he was done, I was dumbfounded. He was good. Really good.

"How are you so good?" I asked, clearly perplexed.

He shrugged. "I went on American idol, and got to the top twenty."

I gasped. "Really?"

Nathaniel nodded. "Yeah, and the same day; I invented the grilled cheese."

I punched his arm, and he laughed. "Hey! Don't assault the designated driver!"

"I'm an amazing driver." I pointed out.

He snorted, and put on his blinker to turn left, across a three lane expressway. "Remember this?"

Before I had time to think, or even process what he was saying; in one swift motion, he cut the wheel at around a sixty mile an hour pace. The car responded with loud screeching, and tire squeals. My heart jumped to my throat, and I fumbled around for something to grab.

By the time he was finished, I was laughing so hard; tears were forming at the tips of my eyes.

He just grinned. "My thoughts exactly."

~~~~~~~~

After the little fiasco in the car and the earnings many negative looks from surrounding cars, conversation, (surprisingly), flowed easily. I didn't know, it was something about the mood that somehow hung in the air. As much as I'd hate to admit it, I liked his laugh.

In no time we were pulling into the familiar apartments. He swiftly pulled into the parking lot and the car came to a full stop. I sat there, engulfed by the sudden silence.

"Well," he started, "It's been fun."

I couldn't help but stifle a laugh. Pulling the door open, I lifted myself out of the cramped space

 I stretched and yawned. "I'm. So. Tired."

"So am I." Nathaniel walked to the other side and pulled open the trunk. It didn't open.

He cursed under his breath and placed his palms on the bottom. With another tug, it still didn't release it's pressure. I could tell he was really pulling hard.

I put my wallet on top of the car and walked over to him. "Here, let me help."

He nodded and I placed my palms in the same position his were in.

"Okay, on the count of three; we pull."

I nodded also. "One."

"Two."

"Three."

Okay, maybe we should've been smarter about where we placed our hands and where sensitive body parts were in contact.

The good thing-the trunk opened. The bad thing? Let's just say in the next moments of pulling it together, the lid slammed me square in the jaw. A sever pain hit me immediately and the next thing I saw was blackness.