Chapter 11: The Fall of Beacon

Ruby led her fellow students straight to the Bullhead airships that awaited them in the stadium's docks. As soon as they made it there, the hunters and huntresses in training were met by General James Ironwood, who had just single-handedly taken down an Alpha Beowolf.

Jonathan stepped forward towards the general and put his hands out slightly, "General, what's going on?"

Ironwood silently gazed at each of the students, "Grimm are crawling all over the city, the White Fang has invaded Beacon and, to make matters worse, some...Vagabond has seized one of my ships. Until we regain command, the city and everyone in it are in extreme danger and the skies are out of control. So I'm going to take it back." He replied, then turned around to board his airship.

"What do we do?" Ruby asked.

Ironwood halted, then turned around to face them again, resting his hands behind his back. "You have two choices: Defend your kingdom and your school, or save yourselves. No one will fault you if you leave. This is a dangerous situation, and honestly, not everyone is going to survive it." James said, his expression softening.

"Well I'm not going anywhere." Jonathan stepped forward.

"Me either." Flynt Coal adjusted his fedora by moving his fingers along the brim.

"Neither are we." Sun pounded his fist into his open palm.

"We're not?" Gavin, er- I mean, Scarlet said.

"No, we're not" Neptune replied.

"Fine, fine. We're not." Scarlet groaned.

Ironwood chuckled and shook his head, then his expression hardened as he turned around and continued up the docking ramp. "Let's move out!" He told his soldiers.

After the General's airship took off, Sun shrugged, "I mean, come on- We can take a ship to Beacon!" He said, then he and the others took off towards the remaining airships, leaving Ruby to stand and watch Ironwood's ship as it got farther and farther away.

. . .

Jonathan anxiously gripped the support rails on the inside of the airship as he watched a large on-fire airship sailing on a direct course for the ground.

The explosion rocked the small airship they were inside of, and Ruby held her hand over her mouth with wide eyes.

"Well that's not good." Sera noted.

Ruby suddenly took off, sprinting towards the back of the airship with a determined look in her eyes.

"Ruby, what're you doing?!" Sun exclaimed, but it was too late, she was gone. Before any of them could even think about chasing her, she'd already leapt off of the airship and back onto the colosseum. After a few short moments, Jonathan saw a rectangular metal object flying upwards, a red and black wearing form hanging onto it.

"Is she riding a locker?!" Coco exclaimed as they watched Ruby soar towards one of Ironwood's large ships.

"We have to go help her!" Neptune said with wide eyes.

"No." Jonathan announced, making all eyes turn to him. "I have faith in Ruby's ability to handle herself in a fight. If she didn't think she could handle it, she wouldn't have left." He continued as he walked towards the front of the airship. "Now, I may not be from around here, much like most of you, but we have a duty to uphold: protect those who cannot protect themselves. Beacon is defenseless, they need our help down there. If any of you were going to leave, you would've done it by now, and it's certainly not like me to just run away from a fight! Most of you may not reside in Vale, but I ask you to defend it as if it were your own home." Jonathan said as he raised his tightened fist at the front of the airship.