Chapter 51: The Child of an Unholy Union

I stared at Marie Laveau for a very long time. It was the only thing I could think to do, because words failed me.

The most well-known voodoo practitioner of our time; everyone in New Orleans knew her name. Anyone who practiced voodoo knew who she was. There were books written about her. Movies and television programs made about her. People worshiped her, visiting her grave every day in the hundreds to leave offerings in the hopes that she would bless them in return. Marie Laveau was an incredible woman, having left her mark in history. And not only was she my ancestor—not only did we share the same blood—but she was my djab; this woman chose me to follow in her afterlife. She chose me to guide.

Marie Laveau chose me.

Accounts of her physical appearance varied often; there weren't any actual photos of Marie, for she didn't like to be photographed. But besides the vampires that had lived (or were already undead) during her time, I was the only living person to see what she looked like, and she was nearly spot on to what I had imagined her to look like—light brown skin, practically beige in tone, and these large eyes that were all-knowing; they possessed infinite amount of wisdom. Her face was oblong, her lips big and nearly heart-shaped. Her brows were arched, making her expression serious and intimidating when she was focusing. She had a full figure, close to Mambo Nene's but with more of a curvature to her frame. Even as a spirit, her curly hair was graying and her wrinkles were noticeable as if, even in the afterlife, she did not fear aging. The only difference was the eyes—as a loa, Marie possessed these eyes that were channeled to the spirit world. Eyes that possessed a bright, angelic glow.

I forced myself to speak; to say something, "You're...you're...y-you're—"

"You weren't this tongue-tied when I first met you," she said to me. Her accent was very thick; this was something I actually didn't expect.

I exhaled nervously, "I don't remember the first time we met."

Marie set the snake down onto a mat, watching it slither behind the altar. "'Course you don't. It ain't happens yet for you."

"Tempus summatum," I muttered.

She hummed to herself, "That what y'all take to call it."

I watched as she began to walk out of the room. I followed closely.

"You a brave girl for going to Sajida," Marie said to me.

"I had no other choice. No one would help me connect with you."

I was still in disbelief that I was speaking to Marie Laveau, and she acknowledged this by laughing at me when we were in the living room.

"You gone get rid that look on your face?" she asked me.

I rubbed my eyes, "Sorry. It's just...I can't believe it. You're my djab, y-you chose me. Why?"

"S'ppose I cheated," she answered. "I met you when I wasn't dead. I got to sit with you, talk to you, for a long time, we's acquainted."

We were outside now. In the night—in the eerily empty street—there were suddenly visions that appeared before us. I saw Marie sitting in a dark room with candles and a few other men and women dressed in white surrounding her. I saw a familiar face sitting close with Marie; it was me.

Marie was giving me a look into my future; into what I did in the past.

"You came to me in a dead sweat. Loa gave me visions of you; I knew you was coming. But I wasn't sure why. 'Parrently, you had to write these 'papers' you said would save e'rybody."