9 : Deadmen Drop

F*ck. It's almost been twenty-four hours. I drive as efficiently as I can – on the moped which is pretty weak *ss - to Shadow River Manor. Effectively avoiding six collisions with aggressive poles, I finally reach the gothic mansion. But instead of being greeted by Alfred at the front door, I find a note taped to the rustic wooden frame.

Meet me at the most dangerous place in Cedar Creek. I'll give you a hint: it's wet.

I regretfully know instantly where it is. Shadow River. Originally it was called Cedar River – but adopted 'Shadow' because of the series of strange sightings of dark figures lingering around the area.

It's rumoured that in the old, old, old days, when banished from Cedar Creek you would be pushed off the highest rock at Shadow River. If you survived, you were deemed innocent of your crimes. It really depended on the time of day, the wind and how much clothing you were wearing.

Although highly forbidden by Cedar police, I've done the jump. I used to be a bit of an adrenaline junkie... but I haven't been there in nearly two years. Apparently due to erosion and weather etc (I'm not a science student) it's even more dangerous to swim or jump than ever. Some people say if you swim in the river, which ironically isn't connected to Twilight Falls or Cedar Creek, you can see the ancient remains.

Why does Iris want to meet there? What could possibly be at Shadow River? I restart my moped and begin in the direction. It's not too far from here – thereby the name 'Shadow River Manor'. Eaten up with curiosity, I push as hard as I can.

Within ten minutes, I finally pull up to the ledge bordered by a tall barbed wire fence. I look around for Iris and can't see him through the shrubbery. I walk forward, pressing up against the cool metal, scanning the area. Then my eyes rise to the highest rock – also known as Deadmen Drop – and there he is.

"Iris!" I call to him, "What are you doing?!"

He pays no attention to me – as if I was less than the whisper of the wind. His face is blank, cold and thoughtful. Without any warning, he takes a step forward and drops into the River.

I gasp, instinctively running to find the hole in the fence and crawling under – ignoring the gashes at my sides. I've grown since the last time I've been here.

I run across the rocks – ripping off my jumper and backpack – and dive into the water. The cold bite of the river surrounds me, completely overwhelming every inch of me. I keep pushing as hard as I can, desperately forcing the water to bend around me. He'll die if I don't get to him.

Finally I spot him, floating like an angel, the white of his shirt reflecting and glowing like an angels wings. I grab his collar, pulling him to the top of the water with all the energy and strength I have, but the water is strong. A complete force of its own, the water battles with us, almost stopping me from breaking the surface and stealing a breath of air. I pull Iris up with me, finding the small ledge at the edge of the water and dragging him to it.

I wrench myself onto the rock and then wrap my arms around Iris to somehow drag him over me onto it. I lie him on his back and try CPR. F*ck, is that what I'm supposed to do? "Help!" I call while remembering what I was taught in class.

To the beat of 'Another One Bites the Dust' I lock my elbows and press into him. Am I doing it in the right place? F*ck. I have no idea if this is right. I pray with every bit of mental energy I have left, scream for help with what's left of my voice and pump with what's left of my strength.

And like a real miracle, he coughs to life. I find myself panting with relief.

He sits up, the white silk fabric of his shirt clinging to him, the caramel strands of his hair dripping.

"What the hell was that?! What is wrong with you?" I demand between puffs.

He coughs. "You passed-" cough, "the test," cough.

"What are you talking about? You could've died. F*cking hell. I thought you were dead."

"Thanks," he says nonchalantly. He coughs again and then runs his fingers through his hair.

"What the f*ck was that? Can you tell me what the f*ck that was?"

"Language, my dear."

"No f*cking way you lecture me on language when you just... no f*cking way. What the actual hell." I stand up, lost for words. With the adrenaline rushing through me, I don't feel cold – but I know the water is icey and if we don't get warm soon... I mean hypothermia is a thing... right? "We need clothes..." I notice now that my bottom lip is trembling. "What the f*ck is wrong with you Iris?"

"You can call me Adrian, you know?" He settles now, coughing less. His voice is huskier though.

"Were you trying to... end your life?"

"No, no. Let's dry up before we discuss this."

"I want some f*cking answers."

"You'll get them." He looks up at me with those glowing green eyes and somehow I trust him – even though I shouldn't because he just randomly jumped into a f*cking river. "Atticus is waiting. Let's go."

.

.

.

After drying up at Shadow River Manor and changing into one of Iris' shirts, I have no mental energy left. I find myself sitting on one of the large velvet armchairs in front of the fireplace, dozing off.

"You're welcome to stay over," Iris says, appearing from the hallway. I haven't seen him since he told me to shower and gave me his shirt before disappearing into his room.

"No thanks. I've spent enough time with psychos for the day."

"Would you care for an explanation now?"

"You know what? I'm completely drained. I don't know how much bullsh*t I can fit into my mind right now."

"Fair enough," he sits on the arm chair across from me. "Atticus can drive you home whenever you're ready."

I nod my head and focus on not falling asleep. "Now would be a good time."