#3 Enemy

Zack drives me to Mathew's home.

As I step into the huge house, I can't help but gawk at its interior. It's luxurious and has a masculine feel to it.

Zack laughs at me checking out the house. "You should see the main house."

Without taking my eyes off of the big chandelier, I tell him, "I've seen it. It was a long time ago. My aunt took me there to see Roxy." Roxy is the current Gamma's mother, through whom my aunt and I were able to join this pack. 

The main house is a big mansion at the centre of the pack land. The ex Alpha, ex Beta and ex Gamma reside there with their families (except their sons, who've their own places.)

Although Mathew is the Alpha, Zack is the Beta and George is the Gamma, these three have not yet fully taken over the pack responsibilities. It'll happen only after their official coronation ceremony, next year, after graduation.

Their parents are the ones still incharge of the major pack duties while their kids help them out from time to time.

As Zack and I enter the living room, I see Mathew sitting close to Helena. A small pain tugs at my heart but is easily pushed back by me.

I thank my abnormality in silence. I've heard horrible stories of rejected mates.

Even though I've always wished that if I was unfortunate enough to get a mate he would reject me, I'd be lying if the stories of the terrible pain rejected mates go through didn't bother me. But it looks like I don't have to worry about that.

They both notice us. Mathew nods at Zack and Helena smiles at me. Her smile is drowning me with guilt. I muster up my strength and smile back at her.

Mathew gestures us towards the couch at his side. Zack and I sit down.

"Thanks for coming," Helena says, still smiling.

I really wish I hadn't come!

I smile at her again and say, "It's nothing."

"Did you talk to George? He found anything?" Zack asks them.

Helena suddenly looks sad and Mathew has an annoyed expression.

"He confirmed with the witches. They know," Mathew replies.

"Shit! What about the patrol? Are they picking up any movements?" Zack asks.

I don't know what they're talking about, but it seems serious. I keep quiet and listen to them, hoping they'll explain it to me later if it's something I should know about.

"They are. But nothing direct. You know how that bastard is like! I should've ripped his head off when I first saw him," Mathew says.

I nervously shift on my seat. I'm not comfortable hearing about ripping heads off. 

Because of my wolf-less situation, I don't train with others. Since training is mandatory for all werewolves, not just warriors, violence is not something an average werewolf can't handle. But I'm essentially a human and can't help but be scared at scary things like imagined ripped heads.

Zack says, "I know. But what can we do? He's too damn sly. Never gave us an excuse to attack his pack. Do you think I don't want him dead? I want to wipe out his whole pack."

Okay, this is not good for my blood pressure. My heart is racing from fear. I know they're the Alpha and Beta, and it might not be unusual for them to talk this way, but can't they do it out of my earshot?

My legs start twitching with my uneasiness.

"Guys, please, watch what you're saying. She doesn't have to hear things like that."