#5 Home

Sending away my aunt wasn't easy. She's everything to me and I'm everything to her.

She cried in my arms like a child before going inside the airport. I turned and let my tears fall down. I don't want us to separate. She's my only family.

But I had to do that – for her. Whether I'd agreed to their plan or not, my life wasn't safe anymore. Horris knew my Alpha has a mate and that mate is me.

Doing what Mathew and Zack ask me to do is what will keep me and my aunt safe now.

Zack helps me pack and move.

Zack had already moved in. He and I have rooms on the ground floor. At the top floor is Mathew and Helena's room. They share.

One thing I'm the most happy about since moving in is Helena's cooking. My aunt is a wonderful cook, but Helena is a master.

Every time I open the fridge, there's something to eat. I understand that, with the Alpha and Beta here, the food needs to be always stocked: they eat more and often than the rest.

But this much food is just heaven.

After school, it's mostly me and Helena in the house. Mathew and Zack are always out on pack duties, even during the weekends.

Sometimes it's just me. I seem to be living in this house more than them.

Helena is great to hang out with, but I keep some distance. We mostly chat during meal times. Zack is also a great guy. It's easy to talk to him.

I've talked to Mathew a few times, too, but it's like me asking a doubt and he answering it. I never full on chatted with him.

I'm the type to talk when I'm talked to first.

Mathew never approaches me. I guess he's uncomfortable with me being his mate and all.

He, however, talks very well with Helena and Zack. I've seen him flirt with her multiple times. I just slip away pretending to have not seen that.

At first, it hurt a bit, but now I don't sense anything.

He's also very chatty with his best friend, Zack. They often play video games together like normal teenagers.

Sometimes, when I look at those three I can't help but feel jealous. My childhood memories surface in my mind and my heart starts to feel heavy. I try not to be around when those three are together.

One Sunday afternoon, it's me, Mathew and Helena in the house. Zack is away.

Helena is cooking in the kitchen and Mathew is working on the dining table.

I'm in the living room, across them.

The radio is playing.

(🎶 You know I can't....)

The song plays and fills the room with its magical melody. Helena begins to dance and slowly goes and pulls Mathew up to dance with her.

I know he's my mate. I know I should be hurting now. I know that, but instead – I'm smiling. I can't help but smile, seeing them dance.

After a while, my smile fades away. I know why I smiled. The scene in the dining area reminded me of a similar scene from my past.

I saw my parents dancing around in the living room. It's one of the beautiful memories I've of them.

Remembering them is nice but also painful. I take my eyes away from Mathew and Helena and concentrate on my homework, trying to solve the math problems before me.

The song ends. She goes back to cook and he goes back to work on his laptop.

After a while, Zack enters and asks his sister to help him with something. She leaves with him to the garage.

I'm at my last math problem when Mathew tells me, while still looking at the laptop screen, "You sure study a lot."

I look at him and then look around to confirm he was talking to me.

Once I'm sure it was me, I unabashedly say, "I'm not the school's top ranked student for no reason." I see him smile while still looking at his laptop, and then I go back to solving the value of x.

⤙–⤚

Will much appreciate your votes and comments :)

So, please, give me your feedback.