o45

(A/n: double update in celebration of the success of NCT's first concert tour! Enjoy!)

C H A P T E R
F O R T Y - F I V E

I could hear it.

The rustle of something from the living room. A quick sound, low and quiet. When I opened my eyes, the dark ceiling of the room greeted my vision. Then when I looked sideways, Grandma was sleeping soundless at the space beside the bed.

The witchlight wrapped around my neck glowed. It only meant one thing.

Yuta's awake.

Carefully, I removed myself from the blanket and got out of bed. Grandma's body twitched and for a second I was terrified that I might have waken her up, but she just changed her sleeping position and moved her body to the side.

A soft sigh of relief escaped my lips, and I made my way to the living room.

Yuta was standing by the door, hair a jumbled mess and blue eyes a spectrum of half-awake, half-asleep paleness.

"I had a dream of a woman making me drink a cup of tea that rendered me asleep," he said. "It was horrific."

"It wasn't a dream," I said.

Yuta placed his palm on his temples, his ears earning a fair amount of redness. He blinked at the floor, bit his lower lip and sighed. "Well, that's embarrassing. And a displeasure in my part."

"I agree with that."

"I was terrified when I woke up and you're not here. I thought you left me in a house near the shore. With an old woman," he snorted. "I was convinced that it did happen. But when you showed up a few seconds ago, it felt too good to be real."

"Come on, Yuta. I am not a betrayer. Do you think I would do that?"

"I doubt too much," he breathed. "And I'm sorry I can't take that away from me, Soo."

When those words left his lips, I couldn't imagine how fragile he was. Now that I'm looking at him, he looked just like a boy.

"Fully distrusting everyone, even your close friends," I sighed. "It's unhealthy."

"Unwholesome," he shrugged one shoulder and added, "By the way, have you contacted Mark and the others? I've been worrying about them. I was planning to see how they are, but they didn't give me goggles like yours."