68 - Old Fashioned Or Cruel

Jesmaine Polliet's Point Of View

It's been two months since the incident with Helena. I know that Helena did something foolish that she shouldn't have, but I've worried for her punishment. The usual punishment for going as far as she did is at the very least lashings...

Out of worry, and a bit of curiosity, I decided to watch Lily Celeste closely for a while. She's incredibly quiet if not provoked. In fact, I think she prefers observing rather than acting. She may in fact only have acted out against Helena because Helena ended up provoking her too much.

Furthermore, Lily Celeste appears to have no romantic interest, and instead appears to be watching Claire from the side line. I'd compare Lily Celeste to a cat waiting and observing its prey.

However, by watching her closely I've found that there are indeed things off about Lily Celeste. No matter how hard she tries, she appears to be unable to hide it as well. For example, when people aren't near her steps get larger and very rough. Furthermore, despite what you'd think her song repertoire is pretty large, and they're all songs like the knights sing... except, not the ones that the knights sing. I can tell because her knight escort perks up every time and tries to listen in.

Another thing is the way she holds a brush when we paint. It sticks out... she doesn't hold it like every other lady here. In fact, she holds it just like my grandparents used to do... and I want to see her write like that instead of paint.

About writing, hers is perfectly on line. I've tried so hard to learn that, but I just can't get it perfectly straight. It always begins turning either up or down. Lily's however is perfectly consistent. I think I could put two of the same letters she wrote on top of each other, and they would overlap perfectly. What kind of teacher did her family hire to teach her that?!

Another thing that feels off is at the dinner table. She hates red meat. She always eats it with hesitance and at times even shudder. Fish however, she enjoys happily. I think fish things are actually the only time where I see her enjoy the food. That, and after she snuck some vinegar onto the table. My grandparents used to have some extra nearby as well... I never quite understood their fascination with the sour condiment. On another random note, she dislikes her food too warm as well.

---*---

I considered Helena's last words to me for a long time. That Lily Celeste was a very cruel person. I admit that her standards appear very different from ours, and that Lily's pride is large. That she has come incredibly specific preferences in how something is phrased, though the meaning is the same. Like how she prefers to say things that aren't insults, but because of the look in her eyes become insults.

Lily treats the commoners quite neutrally though. She doesn't harm them if they accidentally get in her way, but she didn't seem to take note of them on my first impression. She actually watches them quietly and takes note of every single one of them. She just treats them like air unless they need business with her.

Actually, that part of her is exactly like my grandfather. He used to sit in the corner of the room with a book, and then gave a quick glance up whenever someone entered the room... only to ignore them unless they spoke to him.

---*---

As for her relations... she gets out of it with almost everyone, I suppose. Just not William. I expected her to get along worse with people, especially Gilbert... but perhaps Gilbert has just deemed her old fashioned instead of cruel, is what I'd like to believe.

Gilbert is a spymaster after all.

Anyway, I am kind of happy that Lionel Tepet's focus is on her instead of me. In fact, I think he may have a minor crush on her with the extent he tries to avoid her. He's acting almost exactly towards Lily as he does with Claire. The assaults of bare flesh aside. I mean, both of them have to deal with those stares of 'I want to kill you' that appear for no apparent reason. I cannot begin to tell you how relieved I am not to be a target of that. You don't think I'd be a target? I'm the daughter of the main provider of weapons for the Marquess that goes to war with Ristaze!

Perhaps I should interfere with Lionel just once and try to make him go for Lily Celeste? I don't want to get his attention though. He's dangerous to deal with. Don't let his usually polite greeting and polite smile fool you! He's a person that's gone mad!... is what I'd like to say... I don't want to find out for sure.

Though... if it's Lily Celeste, then she may be able to keep him in check.

Another odd thing. For no apparent reason whatsoever she appears to support a relationship between Claire and Alstair... her own fiance... She argues that she's merely a backup... that she has no interest in him, and even that it would be better that way... but what I don't understand is why. Marrying into the royal family should be a great boon for her territory, but Eric doesn't ever appear to correct her or scold her... in fact he doesn't really appear at all...

He used to appear near Alstair just like Lionel, although quite rarely... but he hasn't appeared at all now... did Claire do something wrong on their first meeting?

Either way, I have concluded that Lily Celeste probably won't be a problem if we don't provoke her... though... that is too late for Helena... my only hope is that Lily Celeste's aversion towards Claire applies to Helena as well.

I forgot to mention that. Lily dislikes being near Claire. She always places herself at almost the maximum distance of her, especially during dinner.

During classes she can talk with everyone and solve problems with them... the only one she avoids dealing with is Claire, and by apparent extension, me... No matter how you look at it she's uncomfortable with Claire, but it isn't that much of a surprise. My grandfather wouldn't know how to deal with Claire either. Claire is simply too emotional for both of them, I suppose. I'll advice Claire to calm down when she tries to interact with Lily... for the good of both of them. Lily kind of looks at Claire like Lionel does.

---*---

"...Jesmaine..." an exhausted and tearful voice pulls me from my embroidery.

"Helena!" She looks exhausted, and I rush to her side to check for injuries... but she doesn't have any...

Lily let her go?

No no no, Lily wouldn't have. She was old fashioned. No matter how much of an aversion she had towards Claire she wouldn't have let Helena go with just this.

"...That woman... she made me dogeza..."

Ah~ that would make sense. Probably while scolding her too and putting her in her place-

Wait... what?!

I felt light headed for a moment.

"Are you sure it wasn't just a coincidence?" I ask out nervously, but Helena shakes her head.

"She even said it out loud, 'dogeza'. I tried to find out why she was like that, but she just went 'status' again and didn't catch on at all..." she spoke out while wiping her eyes. Helena too was a very emotional person, and very determined... she had been quite frustrated when Lily had prevented her plan for making the lives of commoners easier. I thought it was just normal for this world... but...

...Dogeza doesn't exist in this world of the 'Doki Doki Flower Academy' game...