#14 Caught

I lie on my bed looking at the ceiling, numb from crying all night.

I feel like I've so many things to do. Eat. Call aunt. Apologize to Mathew. Apologize to Helena. Apologize to Zack.

But I don't move. I want to remain still like this forever.

I hear a car screech to a halt in front of my house. I quickly get up and run downstairs.

Someone is banging hard on my door. I hesitate, but open it.

No! No! This is too soon. Mathew didn't.

I see Zack's angry and hurt face.

He asks, "You love him?"

I close my eyes before looking down. I don't say anything.

Another car comes fast towards the front of my house. After a hard break, it stops. Mathew gets out, anger evident on his face.

I quickly grab Zack and pull him in. He lets me.

"Mathew," I say, hoping to calm him down before he does something bad.

"I told you. I told you she has nothing to do with it," he says, standing in front of me and looking at Zack who is behind me.

"How? Aren't you leaving my sister for her?" Zack angrily asks.

I shrink inwardly.

"That's my decision. It has nothing to do with Sam!"

"You used my sister like a substitute mate till your real mate showed up. You broke her heart Mathew!"

"I'm sorry, Zack, I really am. I'm sorry for hurting you and Helena, but I want Sam, Zack. She's the one I love. You can't blame Sam for what happened between Helena and I."

"No, Mathew. I can't blame her. Just like you, I can't blame the girl I love, either."

My body turns cold in an instant hearing what he said.

A strong growl comes out of Mathew and he moves towards Zack. I stop him with my hands on his chest.

"Mathew, please! You can't!" I plead.

Zack says, "What's the matter Mathew? Why so sensitive? Is it because she doesn't love you back? Guess, I still have a chance, huh?"

Mathew goes past me and punches Zack. Zack gets back up from falling down and hits Mathew. They both fight.

"Stop it! How do you think Helena would feel if she sees you both like this?!"

Mentioning her name brings them to a halt. But not just them, me too. Tears stream down my eyes again. I thought I've run out of them last night.

"Leave! Leave my house, both of you!"

Even without looking at him I know Zack is hurt. He walks out first. Mathew follows him, but not before stopping by my side for a second to say sorry.

Once I close the door, I slide down and cry.

I'm not crying about what happened. I'm not crying about Mathew's confession or Zack's.

I'm crying thinking of Helena. She knows.

I've lost my friend.

–––

I don't eat. I don't drink. I just lay down on my bed and sleep whenever it decides to come to me.

Nothing matters to me. School. Eating. Living.

I get a phone call from my aunt. Speaking to her eases my mind.

Door bell rings. I don't want it to be Mathew or Zack or Helena. But my luck is not good.