Chapter 39 - Plagues Risen

Fiora P.O.V.

I was in a dream again. Not one of the, I'm going to forget everything when I wake up, dreams. It was one of those dreams where you know what you're doing but have no control, like someone is leading your life by a string and you have no choice to obey. I was like a puppet in the hands of an entertainer, one of those puppets where they live in a palace.

A palace rivaling the king of human's own. With large stairs leading up inside from a yard of flowers, a throne room not far inside where the King and Queen would listen to the nobles, knights, and occasional peasants pleading for help with the monsters invading their homes. A palace with halls in every direction, with a library as large as eighteen inns, rooms big enough to be known as houses with decorations of red gold and white beds that used silk instead of cloths and furs. With the princes and princesses dancing around in ball rooms trying to impress the nobles, which will one day marry their children to one of those very royals. Concubines waiting in their rooms for the King to meet them like he does the Queen who's pregnant with the King's fifteenth child. Who will one day be sent away for being unfit of the royal throne and kingdom.

But there was a difference with this one I'm being confronted by. The palace I found myself in was much smaller than the one I dreamed to see as a child. The life in the atmosphere was gone and the clouds were green. The moon was full of bright silver light and the ground was of rotten grass and lichens. The garden was nothing more than thorn bushes and undead wyverns flew in the sky around me after rising from piles of bones.

There were many skeletons in two lines leading into the palace entrance, all facing inward with enough distance for five people to walk through.

Without hesitation, I walked forward and inspected the palace.

With run-down walls made of stone instead of beautiful pearly white marble and windows with curtains made of bloody animal furs. The rotten wooden doors leading inside opened onwards and the skeletons bowed their heads in respect. The green rug on the ground with dirty yellow outlines led onwards into the throne room which seated a woman.

She had silver wolf ears and red eyes the same as blood. With the green silk gown covering her body and a green staff with multiple red gems embedded on the sides, she stood up to speak.

"Fiora Lupus. Wolf Goddess Candidate of the Hunt. I have summoned you to speak of your current position as an ally of the demon child."

Her voice boomed and shook the Earth as candles lost light and skeletons were disassembled.

"Who are you?" I watched as she began walking down the steps until she stood in front of me. Towering over me by more than a head's height.

"My name is Davzei. The forgotten goddess of disease and misfortune. Sister to Modra the Goddess of Death, and child of the Ancient Goddess of the Hunt." She raised her left hand as green light shimmered around us. With a snap, she waved her hand in front of me and her appearance changed.

She was no longer wearing her green gown, but instead a tattered robe, she had a rotten crown on her head. Parts of her body were gone or showed her insides while her wolf tail was turned into bones and her skin changed into a pale green. With one red eye glowing and the other gone, she raised her staff above her head and then began to speak once more.

"I have summoned you, to make you the offer of a lifetime.

In exchange for ridding yourself of your title as a wolf queen, I will name you my champion. You will spread diesease and disaster across the world at your own discretion, and you will kill the imposter who claims the throne of my mother. You will avenge my sister and protect my nephew with your life for all of eternity. You will destroy the shrine of the Gods and return the forgotten divines to their rightful position. Only when you die after achieving these quests will you be set free from my command and return to your life of mortality.

However, if you ever betray the demon spawn and attempt to gain the power of ancients for yourself, I will personally make sure to take your life and turn you into one of the minions you see outside.

This is the offer I shall grant you. You will never again pray to the current goddess of wolves and the hunt.

Lastly, you must endure through the seven deadly trials... Do you accept?"