Chapter Forty-Four | Second World

[ 44 | Second World ]

Unlike in their past life, where they had to use a brush and some melted-ink, they were now able to use pens. Which, as Hisaya noted, made no difference to his lovers horrific hand-writing. It still shocked him how appalling it really was. Lines were either too harsh, or wibbly-wobbly.

But it was a relief to see it. It gave him a strange sense of normality as he held the card above him as he lounged on the sofa in his apartment. He was now more eager than ever to reunite with Zhang Feng's reincarnation, but he knew that with System in control- it wouldn't be that simple.

The person who wrote this note, who left him those chocolates, was a stranger. But it was clear that this man knew who Hisaya is, or once was. But he couldn't remember a damn thing.

He thought back to the name that Yoshiaki had mentioned, Asahi, but even after saying it a few times it didn't conjure up any memories. Whilst the knowledge of people, like Hiromasa, had popped up when he researched them, it wasn't working this time. Which Hisaya could only visualise in a gaming-layout: he was edging closer and closer to the big boss. But if he went straight for the boss, without first doing the side-quests, then he could miss out on some vital information.

Hiromasa was a bigger threat. He didn't doubt that the Alpha was waiting for him to slip-up. And if he did, then he would likely do everything in his power to turn the world against him. But they were just his usual worries. He now had the debate on whether or not he should attend this charity dinner. Because now, not only Yoshiaki had mentioned it, but the owner of the sloppy-writing had too.

That's what it said on the card, "See you at dinner."

The man was pretty confident he would attend. And realistically, he would be a fool not to. It was as his assistant had advised, the charity he intended to see thrive was still in its early-development. It didn't matter how much money he pumped into it, if it didn't get the publicity then it would suffer. And at the charity event, there was no doubt there would be some highly-influential people who will keep an eye-out for a good business venture.

Sitting up, he gave Yoshiaki a text, knowing the man still wouldn't be asleep. But seeing as his assistant was clearly getting him to go to the charity event on behalf of his employer, he had no hesitations in asking for something in return. He wanted a list of the charities that would be in attendance. Before going, Hisaya wanted to work with his team and outline who and which company would benefit them the most if they became partners.

He then posted a message on the group-chat with the rest of the team mentioning the charity event, he could only hope that they were all asleep so they didn't go into a frenzy when they saw it. They already had a lot of work on their shoulders, and their boss wasn't holding back on giving more.

Ω

Everyone was buzzing about the up and coming charity event. That was, except for Hisaya himself, when he found out it was a formal event. One of his first tasks when inhabiting this new body was to throw all the suits that the original once owned, in a bin bag. His wardrobe then never looked better.

In his original life, he avoided the black-tie events that his parents seemed to attend like moths to flame. His brothers didn't mind either, knowing it was all part of the job. But Fahren always liked to do, as his family often said, waste his talents, by being a homebug. He wasn't antisocial, just lazy.

But knowing how vital this evening would be, he had little other option but to go and get fitted for a suit. And deciding to kill two birds with one stone, he invited Noriaki Fumi. They had spoken a lot since they met in the restaurant, and had easily become good friends. Hisaya gave him tidbits of information that were related to the case, but for obvious reasons didn't tell him too much.