[ 002 ] on joining the circus

CHAPTER TWO
on joining the circus

BECAUSE NOTHING WOULD CHANGE or ever would change, because the family governance was still intact in its suffocating system of compare and contrast between the fraternal twins despite Sawyer's unvanquished malcontent, because no effort to usurp th...

BECAUSE NOTHING WOULD CHANGE or ever would change, because the family governance was still intact in its suffocating system of compare and contrast between the fraternal twins despite Sawyer's unvanquished malcontent, because no effort to usurp the cyclical constitution of screwing up and getting into trouble and harbouring more sharpened anger and getting into trouble again for lashing out with aforementioned sharpened anger had been put into action, the unfallen ancien régime remained in its iron rule by ingrained reflex and it was thus decreed that Sawyer would return to Hogwarts for another six months of parentless respite and her unrelenting routine of avoiding her brother like the plague. Wyatt could survive without her. People gravitated towards Wyatt on a natural whim, and after his fourth year at Hogwarts, after he'd sprouted to a broad-shouldered five-foot-ten-inches, after his smile got a little less boyish, coloured in with more endearing charm, after his shapeless preteen body had filled into the Quidditch uniform boasting an athleticism chartered to hours relegated to the pitch, Wyatt had gathered a military base of friends he somehow remembered all the names of. In moments of secret envy, Sawyer thought that if she lined up every single one of them, stood every individual shoulder-to-shoulder, Wyatt's circle of friends would be able to make it around the globe and back.

          Evidently, that natural magnetism Wyatt possessed didn't translate to Sawyer. In all four years of her schooling career, she'd amassed a grand total of two close friends and too many casualties of her temper. She didn't mind the lack of a social connection to the rest of the student body, honestly. Having few close friends was better than an armada of superficial relations. Although, one could argue that people were genuinely fond of Wyatt.

           When she'd boarded the train that afternoon, it was Jeremy who'd met her by the bustling platform, packed with familiar faces and names she couldn't be bothered to place. People who recognised Sawyer steered clear from her and it was through this warpath of spatial awareness that Jeremy Knox had sought his best friend out from a million other faces flushed with convoluted emotion. Heart-of-gold Jeremy Knox with hair of spun gold and soft eyes, who easily cleared six feet of unadulterated charm, of secret admirers and bashful smiles a drunken poet in one of the Hogsmeade taverns once described as sunshine and silver linings. It was with that smile he'd managed to convince her to try out for the Hufflepuff Quidditch team while he tried out for the Slytherin team. Immediately after that year's round of tryouts, Sawyer had been scouted as a Hufflepuff Beater, and Jeremy had been appointed a Slytherins Chaser.

           Jeremy was best friend #1.

           Immediately, he'd crushed her into a hug that'd lifted her off her feet, declaring, Aw, kid (even though she's a whole day older), it's been way too long. I missed you! as though they hadn't exchanged letters nearly everyday of the summer, and it took her a moment before she awkwardly reciprocated with a pat on his back.