Chapter Twenty

Charlie's POV

I sat at the table with my head down. Across from me were Mama and Dad. Bendy sat nearby, still stuck in the bottle.

This hasn't ever happened before, not to me at least; it was always Wally getting stuck in this situation. I bet Mama and Dad didn't even know what to say to me, I was still a baby in their eyes after all. It wasn't normal for me to act out. Except I didn't do anything like swipe a few snacks or punch a kid in the face. I made a deal with a fucking demon.

"So..." Dad broke the silence. "why don't you tell us how this started?"

"..." I was nervous.

"Charlie, answer your father when he talks to you." Mama said, sternly.

I swallowed and took a few breaths.

"When I was out with Miss Connie and her friends on Monday night... we went to an abandoned animation studio... I found Bendy there... I-I didn't know it was him at first though, I thought it was just ink, I-I wanted to get a sample t-to study...!"

"So not only did you lie about where you went that night, you were going to collect some strange thing and bring it home without permission?" Mama sounded pissed.

"Erica, please, let's hear his whole story first," Dad rubbed her arm. He made a look at me to continue.

"... See... Bendy said he was trapped in that studio since the 1920s... and all he wanted was to see Mickey again, because they used to know each other... I swear I wasn't trying to cause trouble, honest! I just wanted to help Bendy out..."

"Your boy's a good kid!" Bendy spoke up from his bottle. "Smart too, I'm impressed with his knowledge on everythin'!"

Mama put a hand over her face and rubbed her forehead, still processing what was going on.

"Ridiculous, this is ridiculous..."

"From what Mickey told me, people have been chasing you guys when you were at the parks?" Dad asked.

"Mhmm..." I probably was going to regret asking my next question. "... how come you guys didn't tell me the Disney characters were all real...?"

"It was part of the job, buddy, I'm sorry we didn't tell you," Dad cracked a smile. "I'm sure you had quite the adventure. I ran into Jim, he told me you went on Dinosaur all by yourself,"

I almost smiled too and nodded.

"I wasn't completely by myself... Bendy was there too..."

"Stuff you got today is wild, I'll tell ya that!" Bendy chimed.

"Are we missing the big picture?!" Mama suddenly cried out. "He's been lying and running around the parks with this... this thing! Do you know how much trouble has been caused with those people posing as Cast Members? What if they come here?!"

"Erica, we can take care of it!"

"How, James, how?!"

   "Mama, it'll be fine..." I said.

   "You don't know that! Stop acting like you have things under control, you're not an adult, you're a child!"

   Mama's words made me go silent. I felt urges boiling deep inside me as tears welled in my eyes. I spoke without thinking...

   "You're mad at me for lying...? You lie straight to Dad's face everyday... you lie about how much you love him, and you lie about how happy you are! Y-You, you don't care about him! You don't fucking care about any of us!"

   "Charles Baudelaire!" Mama yelled, shocked at my language.

   "What is he talking about...?"

   Mama and Dad met eyes. I saw a look on his face I dreaded; I thought I could prevent this secret from spilling and, after a year, it was finally out.

   "Erica... what is he talking about?"

   Mama didn't say anything. What have I done...

   "Charlie... take Bendy and go on to your room... mommy and I need to have a talk," Dad said.

   I quickly grabbed Bendy's bottle and ran to my room, wincing once I heard them start to yell. I slammed my door shut and leaned against it, still gripping the bottle in my hand.

   "Charlie? Mind getting me out of here?"

   Tears were falling my face and I was gritting my teeth. I felt the bottle shake in my hands and then the cap flew off like a bullet, Bendy poured out soon after.

   "Well that was a fine mess down there! At least your parents know me now, huh?"

   I sat on the ground and hugged my legs to my chest, not even listening to Bendy.

   "Charlie? Are you ok...? Heh, that was quite the blow up ya' did! I'da said something like to Joey he would'a tied me in knots!"

   "..."

   "Charlie...?"

   "... I... just wanted my... my parents to be happy..."

I balled up and started screaming. Bendy didn't say anything; just got down and hugged me as I cried. I held onto him, hiding my face in his shoulder.

I've ruined my parents happy lives...