Part XXVI (26)

In light jackets and steady strides, Sebastian lead us down the street to the food district. There we'd find ourselves a top notch farmers market. Someone was pulling out the big guns when I would have willingly just gone to the produce store around the corner. But so shall it be. We left the heaviness of our conversation at the door and that's where I hoped it would disintegrate.

The sun warming our faces was doing an excellent job in shooing away all the sadness. My head tilted back, embracing the rays. In a fit of insanity, I hooked my arm around Sebastian's. Tucking my hand into the safety of his palm, his fingers laced through mine. Resting my head against his bicep, I heard Sebastian emit a sigh of approval. Peace and tranquility; right here, right now, we had that spades.

I would have happily stayed in my silence, content in barely keeping up with Ronaldo's much longer strides. Only he wasn't about to drag me all the way there, no, being the gentleman that he was, Ronaldo slowed his pace to ensure we were equal. The firm squeeze of his fingers, however, made me suspect he wanted to ensure I wouldn't let go.

It was too close in the living room, yet here, I was falling back into the honey trap—Pooh bear had nothing on me. We reached the food market and I halted, Sebastian, stopping immediately and maintaining our contact. He was reluctant to let go just as I was reluctant to be let go.

Wow, so this is what this place looks like. I never came down here because of money and, well, I had no fridge so... why torture myself with what I couldn't have? My thoughts rolled down Sebastian Avenue. Funny brain, real funny.

The market was rows upon rows of vendors, all selling their goods. That's not what was unusual. It seemed everyone had the same idea to come out for fresh food while the weather treated us kindly. The people-watching in this place was fantastic, but soon my attention was grabbed elsewhere. It was the treats that colored the air with their mouth-watering fragrances that hijacked my brain cells, and my sweet tooth couldn't help but notice the woman selling glazed warm apples three stalls down.

I looked up at Ronnie, the puppy eyes coming naturally. If the crowd had been quieter, he'd have even heard a whimper. I was a woman ruled by her stomach these days and he only had himself to blame.

"If we must." He tapped my nose. Oh, boopers. Then he finished me off when a gentle graze of knuckle-on-cheek. I was 100 percent certain, I was as gooey as the treat I was begging for.

We chatted as I munched on my apples. And I shamelessly watched Beets pick out the ingredients. There was a certain passion in his movements when he was in his element. Food and Ronaldo go together like Peanut Butter and Jelly. Watching that passion got me all hot and bothered under the collar. What I wouldn't give to have Sweets fan that collar out...

At my insistence, not that it took much arm twisting, Sebastian filled our reusable bags with the makings of our soup and the weekly stock. Naturally, I made sure to pay before Sebastian could even blink. I got plenty of exasperated stares but he took it like a champ all the same. On our way to find some leeks, a familiar tuft of white hair caught my eye, causing me to stop in my tracks. I stared too long for Ronaldo not to notice.

"What is it, Pints?" He looked mildly concerned and I briefly wondered if his mind was on the men that have plagued me and gone oddly silent as of late. But in that time, the head with the hair turned and my heart gave a sad flutter. No, I guess it wouldn't be her. "Lia?" He palmed my elbow gently, the touch causing havoc in my limbs and grounding in the oddest of ways.

"Nothing, just thought I saw someone I once knew." I watched the elder lady smile at her granddaughter and hand her a plum.

Sebastian followed my line of sight and was watching the scene as well. "Someone you were fond of?"