71 - Honor and Shame - Part 1

It has been a week since Helena ambushed me with her declaration, that I was reincarnated.

At first I thought she intended to blackmail me to bring her tax idea into the world... but reality proved to be much more complicated.

At least I've found out why this world has toilets. I asked just enough questions to make sure we weren't from the same place... and was mostly satisfied with that.

Her world is different from mine.

It has no magic.

However, it is apparently quite far ahead in time... and if I go by her recognition of my title as samurai, then she is familiar with the culture in my world...

That in itself is worrying. A person that appears to know about your culture, while you have no idea about theirs.

Still, I decided to give her a proper warning so she didn't end up getting any of us caught and tortured for knowledge.

I could quite easily check if people had compatibility with the gods that I pray to for magic... but applying never seen magic would get me hunted down and tortured for the method... especially the healing magic... right now they don't even know if it can be taught to others, so there are indeed problems with appearing as Augustus again...

At least they think Augustus is impotent.

Back on topic. Helena crumbled in fear. Another reason I am sure she was merely a commoner in her past life. She may have the bark and some bite... but she cowers when she gets in actual danger.

At least, I am left with no doubt that she won't do something foolish for a while.

—-*—-

On another note, all the students from Headal have been withdrawn. As a natural reaction Lionel has gone crazy the last week. As if he wasn't exhausted enough already, he now awaits a letter from home every single day... expecting the arrival of Headal troops...

While this is nothing new, it is timed quite terribly. He is losing his patience with Claire a lot too, and now sometimes scold her openly at their little evening meetings.

Personally I want to clap his shoulder and tell him things will be fine as always, but I have not forgiven him for wanting to hurt me.

Headal have been quite peaceful for a while, so it is likely merely a little show of force. Even so, they don't want us to have 'guests'...

—-*—-

Back on the subject of Helena... Claire invited me for tea to talk about Helena. Privately.

Gil who was next to her had looked quite unsatisfied at the time, and sized me up for s moment... and then nodded to me.

"Bring an escort," was all he said.

...I did plan to do so, but Claire herself whispered to me that it needed to be private. I can fight if I need to, run if I need to and detect poison quite well. There should be no need for an escort if Claire really wants to talk about Helena... there may be a possibility that Claire found out about Helena on her own.

I wouldn't seem Claire to be a reincarnated person. She would have recognized the bandit situation in the past and gone to the castle instead of staying home.

Either way, one thing lead to another, and here we are.

Just the two of us... drinking tea...

"So, Honored Claire. What did you wish to consult me about?"

I made a small assumption, but if her question is related to Helena, then she probably needs consultation.

Claire is quiet for a moment.