Chapter 50

“Banks?” I croaked; my body stiffening as I resisted the urge to lurch backwards to try and attack.

                “You sound surprised,” he chuckled softly. “I always considered your intelligence level that of a Neanderthal, but please, didn’t you suspect?”

                I had, but it had just seemed so far-fetched I’d eventually tossed it out the window. How, how, could an erudite boy have connections to people in candor, much less dauntless? It hadn’t made sense. I had so many questions. So many that would undeniably go unanswered. Was it too late for me? No matter what move I came up with in my head, it eventually ended up with my neck filleted open.

                “So… What are you waiting for?” I growled after what felt like an eternity had passed.

                “Tsk, tsk, eager to die are you?” He asked in amusement. I could feel the edge of the blade press closer to my neck; there was a stinging sensation, and then I could feel the tiniest bit of warm blood sliding down to my shirt. “No questions? No pleas for mercy?” He asked, sounding disappointed.

                I didn’t answer; what was there to say? My brain had an ocean of questions, but what I was really trying to do was concentrate all my efforts on finding a way out of the situation.

                I was still considering what to do, when out of nowhere the knife was gone. There wasn’t time to act though, Banks shoved me forward and as I stumbled, he rammed his foot into my back. I sprawled onto my stomach, and then only had time to flip onto my back before Banks had jammed his foot onto my neck. I couldn’t breathe.

                I clawed at his foot and began to kick my legs to get away, but again he whipped out his knife. He pressed the tip of it to my temple, ran it down the side of my face, and then held it right next to my ear. I stopped wiggling, and thankfully, he seemed to ease up enough so I could pull in some air.

                “You know, I never did get to see what would happen if you impaled someone through their ear,” he mused. “You ruined that when you came and saved Grace. Such a shame, it would’ve been quite the sight. A real learning experience don’t you think?”

                “Why don’t you find out now then?” I taunted through thick labored gasps. If he was still persisting, trying to make me beg for my life, well then he had another thing coming; he’d have to do a lot worse to even get a whimper from me. “Or better yet, why don’t you volunteer and let me show you just how that would feel.”

                He let out a sharp laugh, and I was momentarily shocked to see that he really was amused.

                “Come on Sage, beg, just once and I might reconsider,” he lied. I knew, I could hear it; there would be no reconsideration on his part.

                “Keep–“ I pulled in a choked breath, “–dreaming.”

                “I figured you would say that,” he said, rubbing his chin thoughtfully with his freehand. “It’s in your behavioral patterns not to worry about yourself. However,” a spark of wicked joy shone in his eyes, “your divergence works against you in times like these…” he trailed off.

                All at once, his foot was gone and he’d backed up a few steps to look at me. I was free. I gulped at the air and leapt to my feet, balled my hands into fists, and then prepared to tackle him.