Ch. 20

Hermione thought it would be best if Ginny patrolled with her for the time being, at least until everything blew over. Draco reluctantly agreed, realizing that he would have to find other ways to talk to Hermione. He still wanted to find out what she meant by the 'but' after saying that she was still with Weasley, and anytime he tried to think about it, his mind would spiral into many different situations.

That weekend came by quickly and Hermione was sitting out at the quidditch pitch, watching Ginny practice while catching up on some reading. She had finished her homework already the day before but didn't want to get bored, so she brought a book as usual to read. Hermione was still surprised that Ginny had booked the pitch so early in the morning after breakfast, but when Ginny explained that it was the only slot available, Hermione accepted that.

She shivered slightly, tightening her pea coat and wrapping the blanket tighter around her as she watched the practice for a few moments. Ginny seemed to be happily distracted by the sport, which she needed badly. Hermione had been very worried the past few days for her friend, since all Ginny would do was frown and sigh every so often.

Movement out of the corner of her eye caught Hermione's attention and she turned to see a blond head coming towards her. Excitement grew in her chest until she realized exactly who it was, and then her stomach twisted.

"Well, hello Hermione," Zacharias greeted.

"Zacharias," Hermione replied curtly. "What are you doing out here?"

"I just came to see how Gryffindor is faring on the quidditch pitch," He answered, sitting down next to her. He was wearing a similar long black coat to Draco's, but it seemed to be rather large for him. Hermione much preferred how Draco's fit.

"Hufflepuff doesn't play them for a few more weeks," Hermione said, raising an eyebrow.

He simply shrugged. "Never too early to figure out the opposing team."

"How is it that you didn't get sorted into Slytherin?" Hermione asked, looking forward to avoid his eyes.

He sighed unhappily and shifted his weight as he said, "In all honesty, I'm not sure. My father was rather disappointed, but what can you do?"

Hermione grimaced, looking back down at her book. "Well, it's been nice chatting with you, Zacharias, but I have some reading to catch up on."

He chuckled in response, not moving. "Always have your nose in a book. I'm finding it hard to believe you haven't read that one yet, though."

"I have, but it's been a few years," Hermione said slowly. "Some things got in the way."

"Ah, yes," Zacharias sighed. "The battle. You know..."

He turned on the bench and faced her, smirking. "You didn't need to be put in harm's way. If you had stayed behind, I would've made sure that my family would protect you."

Hermione raised an eyebrow. "Well, I made it out mostly unscathed, so I think I took care of myself."

"Yes, but you don't need to," He sighed. "You could settle down with a wealthy wizard and never have to worry about prejudice again. You wouldn't even need to get a job, actually."

She stared at him, mouth agape. Was he suggesting what she thought he was suggesting? Based on his smirk, she assumed he was.

"I don't think I'm ready for any of that quite yet," She stammered. "I still have many things I want to do."

"Of course, yes," He nodded, waving her off with a wry smile. "But when you're done with all that, just know that there's a good option waiting for you."