Ch. 21

Ginny was grinning throughout the entire lunch period, which caused Hermione to roll her eyes quite a bit in response.

"Gin, it's not a date," Hermione said for the hundredth time.

"How is it not?" Ginny asked. "He asked you to Hogsmeade for the afternoon!"

"Yeah, because he wanted to go and the other three were busy," Hermione explained.

Ginny raised an eyebrow. "I doubt they're that busy on a Saturday afternoon."

Hermione shrugged. "Either way, it's not a date."

"It's definitely a date," Ginny grinned again.

"I'm not even technically broken up with Ron yet!" Hermione exclaimed. "It's not a date!"

"Is that the only reason?" Ginny raised an eyebrow at her friend.

"Yes!" Hermione then caught herself and shook her head. "I mean, no! No it's not!"

Ginny was still grinning as she said, "Whatever you say. You can always break up with Ron today."

"No, the agreement was to wait until the end of next week and then break it off if I don't hear from him," Hermione reminded her.

"You can change that deal, 'Mione," Ginny shrugged. "It's not like Ron knows there's a deadline. And what are you going to do if he does write? You already said you were doubting the relationship for reasons other than him not writing to you."

"True..." Hermione trailed off, thinking on that. Ginny was right, of course; she just wasn't happy in the relationship anymore. Not that there was much of a relationship to begin with, anyway.

"I'll think about it," Hermione said finally.

"Gonna see how your date in Hogsmeade goes before you decide?" Ginny asked slyly.

Hermione scowled at her before tossing a piece of bread at Ginny, who simply laughed in response.

Lunch soon ended, and Hermione nervously made her way down to the carriages, unsure of how the rest of the day was going to go. It seemed there were quite a few other students who had the same idea to go to Hogsmeade, but luckily Hermione was able to snag a carriage for herself and Draco.

She waited patiently, searching through the crowds for the familiar platinum blond hair. But the longer she waited, the more nervous she got. Maybe he wasn't coming? It didn't make sense for this to be a prank though since he had been nothing but nice to her recently. But soon fifteen minutes had passed by, and there was still no sign of him.

Sighing and pushing her hands further into her jacket pockets, she began to think he wasn't actually going to show up. But then he appeared, walking down the hill towards the carriage. He gave her a smile as he approached and she couldn't help but smile back, her nerves fading away.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to keep you waiting," He said, stepping up into the carriage and sitting down across from her. "The others were pestering me about coming."

"It's alright!" Hermione said as the Thestral began to pull the carriage away towards Hogsmeade. "I wasn't waiting too long anyway."

He smiled at her and she felt her cheeks turn red slightly as she smiled in return. There was silence for a few moments before Draco asked, "Do you only have one beanie?"

She instinctively reached up to touch the item in question and asked, "Yes, why? Does it not look good?"

"No, it looks fine," He said quickly. "I was just curious because I only see you wearing the one. I'm surprised it's a cranberry red and not a Gryffindor red."