51

SWEAT DRIPS DOWN her pale face as her back presses against the metal of the bed

SWEAT DRIPS DOWN her pale face as her back presses against the metal of the bed. All she knows is that she needs to get out of this cell block and to Caleb. Weakly pulling herself up to her feet, she blinks rapidly, her vision becoming blurry for a few seconds. She wipes the red bandana across her face before stepping out of the comfort of her cell. "Aria?"

Turning her head, Aria meets Michonne's worried eyes and she holds out a hand, shaking her head. "Stay." She chokes out, her throat burning as she steps onto the first stair, her free hand tightly gripping the cold rails. "Let me go get Daryl." Michonne mutters, turning around. Aria shakes her head, stepping down a few more steps. "No." She snaps, drawing in a deep breath.

"He's got things to do. He doesn't need to worry—I'll be fine." She slurs out, her words bunching together. Making it to the ground, she walks past Michonne, sending her worried friend a small and weak smile. "Tell the council I was too busy." She whispers before stepping out into the sunlight, her eyes squinting as the heat blasts through her body. Glancing down at the stairs, she inwardly groans. Why is there so many stairs? She thinks to herself before stepping onto the rusted step, the cage supporting her weak body as she slowly walks her way down.

Her eyes feel heavy as she pushes the door open, coughs and groans filling her ears. "Caleb?" She weakly calls out, her throat scratchy. The doctor walks around the corner and the door slams close behind her, Sasha walking in by her side. "It's starting."

♚ ♛

Slumping down on the wooden chair, Aria meets Daryl's eyes through the glass, sending him a small smile. "Let me guess—Michonne told you?" She chuckles lightly, her eyes drooping before snapping back open. She's tired and drowsy and feels like she's about to cough up her lungs. Daryl nods slowly, his eyes running over her pale and sweaty face. "We're goin' out to get medicine. You'll be alright." Aria gulps, her head shaking slightly.

"We don't know that. Anything can happen." She whispers, the sentence barely audible. Daryl narrows his eyes, his face turning up into a scowl. "Shut the hell up. Don't say that." He doesn't want to hear that she may die; that's the last thing he wants to hear. Aria is the closest person he has and he isn't about to lose her. He's going to save her, even if he dies trying.

Drawing in a deep breath, Aria runs her tongue over her lips, a small cough erupting from her throat. "Before you go — I love you." She utters, her cheeks turning red. This is the first time she's ever loved a guy and she truly does love him. Daryl freezes before nodding, clearing his throat. Turning his back, he walks away from her, leaving her to stare at his back, the sight of the vest calming her. Aria sighs lowly before standing to her feet.

She doesn't know if she'll live through this—she had to tell Daryl she loved him, even if he doesn't love her back.

A U T H O R
sorry for the short chapter