19. Yesterday

to the side is Max Schneider and Tyler Ward singing "How to Save Life", the way Max sings is basically the way Nico sings.

ps. thank you to @-Osorrow- for the cute cover to the side

-

"Yesterday, love was such an easy game to play. Now I need a place to hide away," the Beatles. 

Zoey Willow Hunter

        AROUND this time of August a year ago, I was loudly singing the Beatles and Elvis Presley songs with Walters in his car, on the way to the airport. Since the car ride lasted two hours, we would stuff a bag with candy and chips. Our snacks consisted of that. By the time we would arrive at the airport, our sugar rush would fade away and we would sleep the full plane ride.

Today, I was in a newly-licensed English, obnoxious and needy boy’s car. For the second time this summer, we were heading to the airport.

 “Pass me a bottle of water,” commanded Nico.

“Why would I?”

“Because if not I will die of dehydration and this car will crash. You’ll either die or suffer from trauma for the rest of your life. Pass me the fucking bottle for Christ’s sake, Hunter.”

I grabbed a water bottle from the back seat and gulped the rest of it down in seconds. Nico’s grip on the steering wheel stiffened and his hair swayed slightly with the movement of his head.

“That was the last good, cold bottle of water,” he said with obviously suppressed anger.

“It was? Oh my,” I replied in a Southern accent, “I am so terribly not sorry, Mr. Forrest. But I would lie if I said that I wouldn’t want to see you dehydrate and well…die.”

“Well, Miss Hunter, you might as well go fuck yourself.”

He says “yourself”, like “yoself”.

“Why ever so rude, Mr. Forrest? That is not a way to speak to a lady.”

He snorted, “Since when have you ever been a lady, Miss Hunter?”

“Might I say, I became a woman the day my underpants got tainted with a red river in sixth grade,” I curtsied in my seat.

Nico grimaced, “Have you ever heard of ‘too much information’?”

I laughed and patted his shoulder, “Aw, Forrest. What a cutie, being scared of hearing girls talk about the way our uterus basically kills itself by bleeding out once a month out of the agony of knowing there was no baby implanted there and the way our capital V bleeds.”

“Hunter?”

“Yeah?” I said, feeling my face redden with restrained laughter.

“Please, shut up.”

“Only because you said please.”

Nineteen minutes later, I remembered having a flash drive filled with the Beatles’ songs. Putting it in, I turned whatever Arctic Monkeys’ song that was playing off and played my music.

“Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away.” 

I smiled and started to sing along, endless flashbacks with Walters crossing my mind. Nico stared at me, dumbstruck and turned it off.

Groaning, I turned it back on.

“Please? Pretty please?”

“No.”