55-Cherry Bomb

1995

I swung my little legs as I sat outside the principal's office. My little private school outfit a little messed up, covered in dirt in places. I could hear Peggy's heels coming down the hall, but I didn't dare look up. I was in big, big trouble so I didn't say a word.

My principal greets her and she walks into the office. The other guardians-Well the other kids have parents- are all inside. I stay outside for another hour, thinking the worse. Finally, all the parents and their children stomp out. After they leave, Auntie Peggy comes out. She stops in front of me and clears her throat. I look up at her, my hands fiddling with my plaid skirt.

"I'm sorry Auntie Peggy. I shouldn't have fought with them." I tell her and she shakes her head, putting her well manicured hand on my shoulder.

"Come on, let's go get a bite of eat." She says and I take her hand. We walk hand in hand until we reach her car. I get in the back and we drive until we reach a small diner. Aunt Peggy opens the door and helps me out. We walk inside and we slide into a booth. Peggy orders us both a burger, fries, and a strawberry milkshake. I wonder if she ever did this for her son or daughter.

"You had every right to fight back against those snob nosed brats. They all ganged up on you." Peggy tells me as she cuts my burger into more manageable pieces for an eight year old. I sip the strawberry milkshake, a little shocked.

"But I shouldn't have hit them!"

"Listen, Peyton, I used to know a man that when he knew he had to fight, he did. He hated bullies and you were defending both yourself and your friend. I'm proud of you." She responds and I move the plastic straw around in my drink.

"What was your friend's name, Auntie Peggy?" I ask and she didn't respond. Instead she looked at me a little closer. A frown appears on her face.

"It seems like you're going to have a black eye tomorrow."

-
2002

"Now, you can't tell your brother about this. He will have my head." Aunt Peggy says as I wheel her down the hall. I smile, turning her into a large training room. Two men and a woman with red hair stand inside the room.

"Agent Coulson, Agent Romanoff, Director Fury. It's nice to see you all." Aunt Peggy greets as I stop in front of them. I move to stand beside her, hands behind my back and my head held high. Just like Peggy taught me to as she introduces me "This is Peyton Stark."

"Peggy, how old is she?" The man she called Fury asks and I stand a little straighter.

"Fifteen, sir." I speak up. Coulson and Fury look at each other, then to Peggy and I. Agent Romanoff looks at her, her green eyed studying me.

"Peggy, you can't just-" She cuts off of Coulson and motions towards me.

"You've heard the rumors of what she can do, haven't you Coulson? Fury, I know you've read her file." Peggy's voice almost stern. She had told me before that my age could be an issue, but she wanted me in SHIELD. Peggy has been training me for a job like this practically all of my life.

"Yes we have, but you know it's hard to believe rumors, Peggy." Fury responds and Peggy gently hits me with her hand. I stumble forward ever so slightly, quickly regaining my composure.

"Show them what you can do, Peyton." She says and I look at her. Her brown eyes are focused on me as she motions her head. I smile at her and nod before taking off the $800 leather jacket. I hand it to her and she holds onto it. I kick off my boots and socks because they aren't fireproof either.

"Why is she taking her clothes off?" Romanoff questions and I smile, walking some ways from the small group of people.

"That jacket and my shoes aren't fire proof. The ground, is it flammable?" I ask, looking at Coulson and Fury. They look at each other.