Chapter 31

"Baby, what is the capital of Austria?" Chairman Kim asked the young Jennie.

They were inside his home office. A massive room surrounded with books and ledgers adjacent to the library inside their posh abode, along the manicured street of their neighborhood.

It was their weekend routine--spending a couple of hours inside his office, or in the library, whichever the eight-year old Jennie would prefer. It was young Jennie's favorite time of the week. She got to sit on his father's leather cushioned chair behind the big, shiny desk full papers to read and sign. And her father would often sit on the couch, like now, with his legs crossed and a spectacle was perching on the bridge of his nose. A pencil and a crossword puzzle from the Sunday edition of the The Korea Herald were on his hands.

"Vienna?" the young Jennie answered without looking up. She, too, had a pencil on her hand. She was doodling on a piece of paper, with an emblem of the Kim Group of Company printed on the upper-right.

Chairman Kim smiled proudly and wrote down V I E N N A on the six boxes vertically aligned on his crossword puzzle. He knew what the capital of Austria was. He just wanted to see how far his daughter have gone on her session with her tutor and how fast Jennie was learning.

"Anything else you want to ask me, Daddy?" Jennie asked her father, now looking up from her doodle, with her brows raised and an air of innocence and haughtiness on her face. She sounded like she was daring her father to ask her difficult questions.

"What do you want to be when you grow up, my Ruby Jane?" Chairman Kim asked, temporarily abandoning his crossword puzzle.

"Does today's crossword puzzle ask that, too? That's odd," Jennie said, looking slightly confused, which earned her her father's chuckle.

"No, baby. But I am asking you," Chairman Kim said, a fatherly smile was plastered on his face. "So, what do you want to be when you grow up?"

"I want to be a unicorn, Daddy!" the eight-year old Jennie chirped and went back to her doodle.

Chairman Kim laughed again and asked, "But don't you want to be like Daddy?"

Jennie looked up and was met by her father's hopeful and doting eyes. She smiled, showing her father her precious gummy smile and said, "I want to be as brave as you, Daddy."

When the car that she was riding on was approaching the intimidating tall, black gate of their , Jennie knew it was time to be brave. She wasn't sure how. Especially since she and her mother had never been in a situation where she would need to confront and stand her ground.

She immediately spotted Mr. Young, standing at the foot of the staircase that would lead to the main door. Along with him were a couple of men, dressed alike. Black suits, black pants, black shoes and a stern look on their faces. They were part of the security group from Jisoo's dad's security company.

The three of them bent their bodies forwards when they saw her from inside the car. And when Kai parked in front of them, one of the two men quickly opened the car door beside her and took another bow.

"Good morning, Lady Kim," Mr. Young greeted Jennie and like his aide, he took a bow in front of the young Kim. "Madam Kim is waiting for you in the office," Mr. Young said and gestured his hand towards the staircase. "Shall we?"

"There is no need to escort me, Mr. Young. I know how to find my way inside my house," Jennie told the head security coldly after she stepped out of the car.

"Certainly, Lady Kim," Mr. Young said and took a few steps backward.

"I'll see you around, Jennie Kim," Kai said from the window of the driver's seat. When Jennie glanced at him, he nodded curtly and then maneuvered the car away from the driveway and into the gate.