sixty two

||CHAPTER 62||
《¤》

》《ARNAV'S POV》《

Contemplating on the offer was the difficult part, and that insanely infuriating man was making sure I was having the worst delirium. My first instinct was to hate him, and I did hate him for good reason. He had picked on my dreams, and I was pretty sure Mom was blinded by his sudden care for her son.

He had surely done his homework, and I was obviously failing this test.

I was playing with the lamp on my desk, flicking it on and off again and again. The house was too empty with Arvika at some stupid personality development camp and Daadi... gone. Ratan Kaka was on a leave; even he couldn't stand being in the house. I don't think our grandfather's death had caused such a sullen temperament as much as Daadi's did. I revolved my chair to look at my wall. It was blue, my vision wall. The places I wanted to visit were not holiday destinations, and that was what made me want to go there. I wanted to work there.

It wasn't until I heard the clearing of throat that I shifted my gaze. Dad was standing against the door frame, in a brown tee shirt and track pants.

I glanced between Dad and the open H.C. Verma text book on my desk. I should have been studying.

"Are you... are you going to the gym?" I asked, instead of waiting for him to reprimand me.

"I'm going for a walk."

"Okay," I nodded turning to grab my pen and start with the sums again.

"Is everything okay?"

That was not a question that our Dad usually asked. I nodded, hoping he would leave. Raman Oberoi's offer kept on tempting me, because I knew what options I had. And being around Dad, didn't help my end of the game.

"You seem distracted, Arnav," I heard him come in. "What's going on?"

"Kuchh nahi Dad," I took a deep breath in. "Bas woh SHM ke problems nahi ho rahe hai."

I had spoken that before realising that I was on the exercise of Fluids, and that Dad was now hovering above me.

He did not comment on it. Instead, he placed his palm on my back. "Arnav, is something bothering you?"

I scratched my cheek, because I didn't know how to respond. Somehow, talking to my sister had become much easier than talking to our father. And said sister was not around. "No Dad... it's just... school is exhausting, you know."

"The past couple of weeks have been tough for the whole family," he agreed. "It will get better. For now, just focus on your studies. Kuchh dino me Arvika bhi wapis aa jayegi, and then tum dono ke ladai jhagdo se ghar shaant nahi rahega. So better, utilise the time now." He turned to leave.

My phone buzzed on the table with a message. I thanked the lords above for it not being from that wretched excuse of a man. And yet, it was that man who was offering me my dreams in a silver platter. 

I needed to talk it out... again. "Dad, wait."

He looked at me expectantly. This was not going to be too good.

"Dad... can we talk?"

"What about?"

Deep breath in, deep breath out.

"Dad... mujhe Deewan Industry me kaam nahi karna hai-"

"Arnav, not this again-"

"-No, Dad. I just cannot handle this business! Mujhey nahi kaam karna is suite-and-tie waale industry mei!"