91 | ACT VII, SCENE II

P R E V I O U S L Y

They charged right at once.

HEWE, STEFFITH.

TRISTAN

IMPOSSIBLE.

THE ARMY WAS IMPOSSIBLE.

We hit first, and hit hard. And that made no difference. None at all.

I was careful not to use up my powers at the very beginning itself. So I fought with the rest, arm to arm, foot to foot, striking down man after man with an assortment of blades. Those acts were swift, requiring hardly a thought from me. It wasn't the skill of the opponent that worried me.

It was their numbers.

And even without counting, I knew that we were greatly outnumbered.

They wrecked apart tree after tree, building after building, tower after tower as our forces damaged and fought against them in return. Smoke had already begun to drift towards the sky - the clear blue of the morning now washed out, stained with thick black smoke that clouded our vision. Deimos and I took the lead, tearing apart the army - me with two swords, him with a morningstar - as we left a trail of carnage in our wake. He ripped through the sea of blood, determination shining in his eyes. Helios and Atherton fought back to back with mace and sword. I could not see Rowan, but her loud voice could be heard even above the din - unlike Apollo, who was nowhere to be found.

Our men fought as one. I had to give them that.

But that made no difference to the enemy.

They were impenetrable.

Impossible to breach.

No matter how many of those soldiers fell, no matter how many of them we cut apart - they never seemed to stop coming.

And the Titans...

...they were meandering throughout the battlefield as if it were a garden, leaving a trail of blood behind them. Our men were falling like flies as the two of them wrecked and crushed our forces. On and on they went, loitering about the ground as it slowly turned into a slaughterhouse. The bloodbath was accompanied by the slash of Quintus's sword, or the hysterical laughter of Celicca as the sound raked on my nerves. Someone had to stop them - someone had to stop them before the siblings ate our army whole.

I attacked the left flank, hammering hard as fire boiled up in me.

"There are too many!" Rowan shouted over the din, trying to join me as she cut her way through the obedient lines of Titan soldiers. Her lip was already split, her nose was bleeding, but her spirit was unbroken as she looked at me with fire in her eyes.