{42} EVERYTHING IS RESOLVED AND ANNABETH AND I TAKE AN UNEXPECTED DIP {42}

PRETTY PLEASE READ THE A.N. WHEN YOU ARE DONE READING!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I brought Annabeth to the park, my nerves were higher than ever. We walked side by side down the path in silence, eventually coming to a halt at a bench. It was overlooking the same pond that we had taken pictures by on our friend-aversary a little over two months prior.

I plopped on the seat and Annabeth followed suit. She sighed. "I love this time of day," she admitted, "with the sun shining down, about to set, and a nice breeze. It's really peaceful, don't you think?"

I nodded and directed my attention to her face. The sun glistened against her high, fierce cheek bones and made the tip of her cute button nose shimmer. I cleared my throat and looked out on the water. "Yeah, I love this place."

"So, do you have any other plans for the night?" Annabeth asked curiously.

"Later I was thinking we could head back to my apartment for dinner or maybe dessert, and then I could take you home. I mostly just want to spend time with you."

Annabeth smiled and looked up at me. "Aw, that sounds perfect."

I grinned sheepishly, leaning into the back of the bench. My gaze shot around the park, having a hard time focusing on one thing. It was now or never, I decided.

"I have something to say," I started nervously, focusing my stare on the pond.

"Yeah?"

"Mhmm," I hummed. "You'd probably kick my butt."

"You know I'd kick your butt."

 "I - I thought I knew what I was going to say, but I don't really know how to..." I paused and removed all thoughts from my brain.

Whatever happened between us would happen no matter what, I convinced myself. Maybe something good would come from me confessing, maybe not. Perhaps things would stay the same. No matter what, Annabeth and I would make it through. We had made it four years through many fights and disagreements, so I was sure one small awkward patch would be no match for our friendship.

I looked into Annabeth's wide, bright grey eyes. "During our time apart, while I was at camp and you were in Greece, I was almost always thinking of you. Missing you, you know? Whenever I had free space in my head, you would immediately come to mind. I couldn't help myself from thinking of what we could have been doing together, or anything about you, really. Even before this summer, I've been, well, kind of obsessed with you. The entirety of sophomore year was comprised of me practically worshiping you, and I didn't even realize until these past few months. I've been thinking that our relationship has been really great and all, but I'm ready for a - a change."

"A change? Anything in particular?"

I took a big breath, shut my eyes, and rubbed the nape of my neck. "What I'm trying to say is, well, Annabeth, I really, really like you. Like, in the more-than-friends way."

I was blushing so hard and sure I had made a fool of myself. Annabeth's brief silence and surprised expression definitely didn't sooth my anxiety. I opened my eyes and realized that she was smiling, almost as if she was restraining herself from laughing.

"You're laughing at me," I complained.

"I am not!" she countered.

"You are so not making this easy for me."

After a strenuous pause, I got an answer. Boy, and a nice one at that.

"I am never, ever going to make things easy for you, Seaweed Brain. Get used to it." Then Annabeth leaned closer, cupped my jaw, stared into my eyes, and smiled. "I like you too, Percy."