Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Julia's POV   

Max wheezes and falls to his knees. Fear spreads through every inch of my body as Max coughs out blood and his body hits the floor.

The shock hits me so hard that I can't move. I can't think. All I can do is look up at the boy with the gun.

He smiles at me. "It'll be like Romeo and Juliet," he chimes and points the gun at me. "Everyone loves a good tragedy."

People are screaming and running. Others are ducking under tables and hiding. The whole world has turned to chaos but all I can think about is Max.

My eyes go back to him, but I don't reach for him. If I move, more bad may come. The boy I love is dying and I can't move to help him. What is wrong with me?

Tears fill my eyes and the boy pulls the trigger. Pain fills my body and I black out before my body can reach the floor.

~~*~~

I can hear the incessant beeping of the heart rate monitor. I can hear the hushed voices of people around me. I can feel the intense ache in my leg that radiates pain though my entire body.

My eyes fly open and I sit up. A doctor soon rushes in and tells me to lie down, but I shake my head and try to sit up again. "No, w-what happened? Where's—?"

My eyes widen and I freeze. I grab onto the doctors wrist and my breathing picks up, making the heart rate monitor pick up pace.

"Where is he? Where's Max?" I ask.

A nurse rushes in with a tray. The doctor hands me a pill. "This will help you calm down, okay? You'll be alright."

"No. No. Where is he? Just let me see him," I beg. I try to climb out of the bed, but the doctor slides an injection into the side of my arm. "What...?"

My eyelids slowly become heavy and the pain in my leg starts to fade just a little bit. The doctor helps me back onto the hospital bed and I slowly drift into a darkness.

~~*~~

"No!" I suck in a huge breath and sit up. The doctor lowers me down. "Where am I?" I look around and remember everything. "No..." I whisper.

"You'll be okay. The wound will heal."

"I'm fine. Let me see him, please?" I beg. "Please, I'll do anything. Just let me see him once. I have to know that Max is okay."

The doctor sighs and nods. "We will bring you a wheelchair and take you to him."

"Thank you."

I wait for a couple of minutes until the doctor and two nurses come in and help me into the wheelchair. They take me down a couple of hallways and into a room.

I see Max lying on a hospital bed with bandages wrapped around his torso. The doctor pushes me further into the room and shuts the door as he leaves, leaving me alone with Max.

I slowly stand up and make my way to the side of Max's bed. I take his hand and hold it tight, hoping that maybe if I don't let go he'll be okay.

I ignore the pain coursing through my body and focus on the pale boy in front of me. "Max, if you can hear me, you'll be alright. I know how strong you are."

There's no reply, but I'd like to believe he can hear me. I'd like to believe he will be okay. Honestly, I'd like to believe this isn't real. I'd like to believe I'm still asleep in my bedroom and when I wake up I'll be able to run to Max and kiss him like my life depends on it.

"Please wake up soon," I whisper and place my hand on his warm skin. A tear slips down my cheek and suddenly his heart rate monitor lets out a monotone noise.

I look up at the straight line on the screen and my heart drops to the ground. Doctors rush into the room but I don't move.

I stare at the line and forget how to breathe. The doctors try to get me to leave but I can't. I can't think straight. I can't move. I can't leave him.

He can't leave me.

Tears fill my eyes. "Please don't go," I beg and hold tighter onto Max's hand. "Don't go!" I scream, breaking down both inside and out.

"Ma'am, you have to leave." Two doctors pull me back into the wheelchair and lead me out. A nurse comes and starts pushing me towards my room but I scream and beg her to let me stay.

"I can't let you in but you can wait outside if that will make you feel better?" she offers. I nod, tears streaming down my face.

She shifts me from the wheelchair to a waiting chair right outside Max's room. Soon, after waiting for hours, I fall asleep.

Someone shakes my shoulders. "Are you related to Max?" the doctor asks.

I rub my eyes and squint. "Uh, y-yeah," I lie. I need them to tell me what is happening since his parents aren't here. I don't know where they are.

The doctor takes my hand. "I'm so sorry. Max Holland is dead. We couldn't save him."

~~*~~

Just keep reading the ending isn't what you're expecting ;) well unless you're really good at guessing

T w i t t e r : xPineappleGirlx
I n s t a g r a m : laylzk
S n a p c h a t : laylz_k

Lots of love and jelly tots- TPG