Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Julia's POV

I stand up and the doctor tries to make me sit because of my leg but I ignore him. I have to see Max. "Can I see him? Please I have to see. You're lying." I shake my head.

The doctor allows me to pass and I limp into the room where Max is. There's a white cloth over his body and I walk to it and pull it off his face.

I stare at him, not blinking. My whole world stops. "Come back," I whisper.

He's really gone.

"No, this can't be real. It can't be real. There's no way that it happened. You have to wake up. Max, you're not dead." I fall to my knees, ignoring the searing pain in my leg. It's nothing compared to the pain in my chest. "Why can't I wake up?" I scream, pinching myself.

How did this happen so fast?

"Breathe. Breathe. Breathe." I have to keep reminding myself. I have to keep saying it because maybe Max will listen.

He died not believing in love... because of me. Now I will never be able to show him how beautiful love is. I ruined love for him and now he's gone.

Now he'll never graduate.
He'll never get married.
He'll never hold his own kid in his arms.
He'll never walk his daughter down the isle.
He'll never grow old.
He'll never get the chance to live his life.

He's dead. He's gone. He was murdered.

Tears blur my vision. "No, Max," I whisper and take his hand which is now cold and completely pale. "I should have been the one to die. Please come back."

There was still so much we had to do. There's so much I had to say to him that I'll never be able to say.

Why couldn't the doctors save him? What if I gave him my heart and they let me die instead, would he wake up? Can I try?

I stand up and shake his body. "Wake up!" I scream. "You can't leave me yet. I wasn't done with you." The tears don't stop. "Wake up! Wake up! You have to!" I scream. My entire body has gone numb.

I feel so helpless.

"Come on, I know we were far from perfect but I don't want to lose you. There's so much you still have to do. I have to tell you I love you and kiss you, even if it's for the last time. Please wake up. I'll do anything. I'll give you anything."

I look up, hoping God can hear me. "Please?" I whisper. "Give him another chance. He doesn't deserve to go, not like this. It's not fair."

There's a empty black hole forming in my chest that hurts more than anything I have ever felt in my life.

I can't see anything through my tears. There is a loud ringing noise in my ears. I still can't breathe. I don't think I want to.

How could he be gone? It's just not possible. Hours ago he was standing right in front of me. He was right there, smiling. He can't just leave like that.

He can't leave without saying goodbye.

Someone steps in. I turn, hoping it's Diana, but it's just another nurse. "How are you feeling?" he asks.

"I'm okay." I stare at Max's body, not blinking. "Yeah, I'm fine. I'm okay. I should be grateful that I'm alive, right?"

The nurse nods, placing his hand on my shoulder to try and make me feel better. "You should go back to your room. Your leg needs to heal." He tries to lead me out but I grab onto the table beside the bed and the remote for the television falls, turning it on.

I look at the TV and it's a local news report on the shooting that just happened. It shows the names of the people who died and I read over them.

"Hayley Santos
Rosie Bass
Max Holland
Reid Peck
Samira Daniels
Sara Peters
D-"

I look away when I suddenly see Diana's name on the list. She's dead too. How could this be happening?

Why do I live and they die? It's not fair. They should be alive.

The news talks about exactly what happened. I don't need to hear her explain it. I can remember every moment of it.

"David Marlon has been arrested and will be charged for the murder of eleven victims," the lady explains and I suck in a deep breath.

"Why would he do this?" I whisper, the tears not willing to stop. The nurse hands me a couple of tissues and turns off the TV, then pulls me into a hug.

"It's okay. You're going to be alright."

"I don't think I will be."

Max is dead. Diana is dead. I'm alone here. All I wanted was to finish school and graduate like a normal teenager but now nothing will be the same.

David Marlon has ruined my life.

He has ruined so many peoples lives. He has taken Max's life and Diana's, as well as nine other kids. Innocent people. And there is no way to bring them back.

My whole body has gone numb. All I can feel is my heart breaking apart, piece by piece.

One of the last things Max said to me was, "You destroyed love for me."

~~*~~

Yeah I know a lot of people don't like sad stories but I was sitting and thinking about it and this actually happens. A kid walks into a school and can kill people out of nowhere and ruin a lot of lives, just like that.

Yeah, we see it on the news and then move on but people are dead and nobody can change that. It's so terrible. *People suck.

*some people

T w i t t e r : xPineappleGirlx
I n s t a g r a m : laylzk
S n a p c h a t : laylz_k

Lots of love and jelly tots- TPG