Chapter 18 - Run away

Arriving at her house, Katherine was tired. She spent a long time at brunch and at the golf court and although the sport was light, the small talk and the pampering that she had to go through required a lot of energy and patience that she, at the moment, had none to spare. But her bring up was refined enough to not show any of it, even if in the inside she cursed all of them disregarding her social standing as a proper lady from the Butchers.

In fact, she hated golf, or rather, she hated most of the things her mother liked. However, since her friends insisted on going to the famous golf court, before she knew she was in her polo shirt and a golf club in her hands, with a fake smile walking around the Varolt's land bragging about her most recent purchases and gossips, that for her, where of no importance at all.

Katherine, was not the evil bitch that most people would think she was, she was simply bored. Having the Butchers name was not something that anyone could carry around proudly, and coming with the title of Leonard Bright's fiancée, she could not be anything but perfect, in the socialite kind of perfect, of course.

So even though she hated gossiping about people that she couldn't care less or looking down on people that she was sure that did not deserve that kind of treatment, Katherine couldn't help but comply. Yes, she did sometimes do it for fun, and she couldn't help enjoying the feeling of superiority that came with those humiliations, but she knew that it was just plain wrong, but what could be done, that was the law of the jungle, and she for sure did not want to become their dinner.

Looking around at the large commotion on the house, the woman frowned, listening to the employees hills clicking on the white marble floor as they jogged from one side to the other with vases of colorful red roses.

She hated the smell of roses.

"What is going on Marta?" She asked the old woman, which with the repentine disturbance almost fell leaving her tiny white hands trembling while embracing a beautiful fine china vase.

"Your mother is throwing an engagement party tomorrow. Her boyfriend is coming today to live with you". The short woman answered. Marta had been in the family for many years, she raised Katherine as if it was her own daughter, and Katherine held plenty of feelings towards the white haired old lady, more than her own mother per say, and definitely, more than her own father.

For a second Katherine was silent, almost emotionless, looking at the bright red roses on Marta's hand, she seemed lost as her eyes only reflected a cunning glimpse of her mind. Suddenly coming back to reality, the beauty started running towards the stairs without a care for the poor people that were walking around with national treasures on their hands.

"Marta, can you send a luggage to my room? The pink one, from Chanel." She said while finally reaching the end of the stairs "And get me my Jimmy Choo shoes, the comfortable ones, not the heels".

"Katherine Franchesca Butcher" The white haired woman asked as if scowling the tall woman "Where do you think you are going?"

"Paris" The other screamed from her closet, along with the sound of drawers being quickly opened and closed.

Worried the woman just went back to put the vase where it belonged, while still talking with the younger one.

"Kathy, you can't just run away every time you don't want to face reality. When are you going to mature?"

She heard an ironic laugh characteristic from her young miss and thanked god that the other had a loud voice, or else her old pair of ears would not listen to her entirely.

"The only thing that this family has given me is money. And if I can use it to run away from my problems, then it is a money well spent."

Looking down, Marta could only sigh. Katherine was not stupid, and neither was she. They both know what would come if the man really was to end up on their house and it was not good news.