Planning and Preparations

A/N There isn't a lot of action in this chapter, but there will be a bit more in the next one. Let me know which plotline you would prefer I use as I continue this story. they are listed at the end of the last chapter. and so far the first one is winning except it will probably not include a ship after all. 

Percy's Point of view

For three and a half days, the villagers discussed the latest attack, the tragedy of  Elmund's death, and what could possibly be done to escape our situation. Finally, most of them seemed to have accepted me so I was also allowed to attend the meetings.

Some villagers said that since Carvahall was doomed anyway, we might as well kill the Ra'zac and remaining soldiers so as to at least get vengeance. Others said that if Carvahall really was doomed, then the only logical plan was to surrender and trust ourselves to the king's mercy, even if it would most likely mean torture and death for Roran and enslavement for everyone else.

And still others sided with neither opinion, but rather descended into a sullen black anger directed at Roran and everyone else who had caused this whole situation. Many also did their best to hide their panic by drinking.

to be honest I couldn't blame them we were all in a bad situation and we had no clue how to get out of it, not to mention that most of them had lost friends or family to the Ra'zac and soldiers. I had a pretty good idea of how they were feeling due to many of my previous experiences and because I was already caught up in this mess anyway I was going to continue to help them as much as I could. 

The Ra'zac themselves had apparently realized that with thirteen soldiers dead they no longer had a large enough force to attack Carvahall, and thus had retreated farther down the road, where they were content to post sentinels across Palancar Valley and wait. "Wait for flea-bitten troops from Ceunon or Gil'ead, if you ask me," Loring said at one meeting.

I listened to that and more, as I stayed silent and considered the various schemes. They all seemed dangerously risky.

We also worked on fortifying the village further. It seemed that Roran had become Carvahall's Leader, so it wasn't hard for him to get the villagers to help. After the last fight, the villagers were more likely to listen and to obey him, well the ones who didn't blame him for causing their predicament were anyway. They had also started calling him Stronghammer. 

I could tell that at first he seemed pleased by the title, but I think his pleasure lessened after he realized why they were calling him that.  As night engulfed the valley, Roran leaned against a corner of Horst's dining room, his eyes closed. Conversation flowed from the men and women seated around the candlelit table. The meeting had been going on for a while, and by now I was trying to pay attention, but I was also fidgeting due to my ADHD.

Kiselt was in the middle of explaining the state of Carvahall's supplies. "We won't starve," he concluded, "but if we can't tend to our fields and our flocks soon, we might as well cut our own throats before next winter. It would be a kinder fate."

Horst scowled. "Dog tripe!"

"Dog tripe or not," said Gertrude, "I doubt we'll have a chance to find out. We outnumbered the soldiers ten to one when they arrived. They lost thirteen men; we lost twelve, and I'm caring for another nine wounded. What happens, Horst, when they outnumber us ten to one?"

"We will give the bards a reason to remember our names," retorted Horst. 

Gertrude shook her head sadly.

 Loring banged a fist on the table. "And I say it's our turn to strike before we are outnumbered. All we need are a few men, shields, and spears, and we can wipe out their infestation. It could be done tonight!"