Chapter 9 - Perhaps retirement? (Butler's POV)

An Emperor begins his morning by a wake-up call from his butler. The sun rays flow into his bedroom almost immediately after the curtains were pulled to the side to be tied.

The Emperor will, later on, slip into his silk robes and head towards the bathroom adjacent to his bedroom. The warm water that was previously prepared by the same butler had already cooled down to a suitable temperature for the Emperor to take a bath.

While waiting for him, Indio, the butler ordered the servants to tidy up the bed. In the meantime, he will personally choose the Emperor's clothes for the day according to the appropriateness of the weather and the activities that he will be doing.

Of course most of the time, things don't go as planned. Nonetheless, what's more important is that the Emperor will feel comfortable with whatever he was doing. Including when he is murdering or torturing his enemies, those days laundry was a hard thing to do.

But today was an ordinary day for the Emperor who will be spending his time in his study room working on mountains of documents and discussing problems about the Empire with his advisors till late hours. The Emperor had a habit of always been too absorbed of his work that without the help of him, his trusted butler, to remind him to take some break or to have a meal, the Emperor will stay in his study for weeks without end.

Indio could only sigh to himself. He couldn't even begin to imagine what will happen if he had decided to retire early at the age of sixty. His hair was no longer in its lustrous youth. There were more wrinkles on his face now; proof of his ageing self. Yet, he was still as capable as when he was first assigned to his Imperial Majesty.

Taking the clothes out from the large walk-in wardrobe, he placed them neatly by the bed allowing the Emperor to wear them by himself. After years of working side by side with him, Indio knows the man better than anyone has ever could.

For instance, the Emperor hated- no, loathed it when someone touches him. Not caring if it was by accident or with a purpose in mind, in the end, the poor individual will still suffer greatly. Of course, this rule doesn't seem to apply to one person. To everyone's surprise. Not him, of course.

After the bath he will present the clothes for the day, the Emperor's reply was his usual deep hum, a sign of acknowledgement. While he waits, Indio will always make sure the food that was placed on the table is according to the Emperor's taste and diet. With a satisfying nod, he signalled for the Emperor's servants to stand to the side close to the walls. Only when their assistance is needed will they be allowed to move from their station.

While the Emperor eats his breakfast, Indio will notify him about his schedules and any information that worth him knowing. It was a rude thing to do while a person is eating which he had never stopped reminding the Emperor about. His reply to the report was a silent nod while he continues on eating.

All throughout the meal, it was silent. The only sound that was made was the clinking of silverware against the plate. It was a quiet meal. Well, before a young knight came into the room seeking for the Emperor.

"Your Imperial Majesty", the knight saluted before he reported. "Her Imperial Majesty wishes to go to The Royal Library."

The spoon that was about to enter his mouth halted. There was a deathly silence for quite some time, scaring the poor young knight. At the end with an unreadable face, "Is she taking the right amount of knights according to protocol?"

The knight seems hesitant to answer the question but he had too anyways, he was just a mere knight without any stable position in the ranks who were unlucky enough to cross paths with the Empress who was on her way out.

"Her Imperial Majesty only bought along two knights and one handmaid with her. But, Your Imperial Majesty shouldn't have to worry about it for both of the knights that were with her are one of the elite knights that you have placed to guard Her Imperial Majesty. The Empress also promised to be back before sundown until then the first prince is under the care of her maids."