Il Ritorno

Alex feels like shit.

Cow shit, specifically.

Cow shit that's been laying on an open, grassy field for weeks, having braved rain and shine, having been picked at by other fucking cows and measly little flies. Shit that's been letting off an intolerable stench, worse than any other lump of manure on the countryside.

He thinks the analogy is fitting, really, because he hasn't showered in weeks. He's been in water, yes, but not the kind that is welcomingly warm, and not with a bar of soap to accompany him. The water had been freezing fucking cold and filled with oil that made fire spark to life on the surface of the sea. If Alex hadn't been in the middle of the disaster, he would've found the sight to be mesmerizing. Beautiful, even.

But he had been there, submerged in the freakish battle of the elements and nearly sobbing as his muscles screamed for mercy as he swam—quite literally—for his life.

And now...

Now he's here—feeling like shit.

Tommy's sitting across from him, wrapped up in his damp uniform and a warm, toasty blanket. He's curled up into himself; his eyes are closed, and his breathing is controlled and even. He shuffles a bit before letting out a soft snore, and Alex watches him intently to make sure that he doesn't wake from his slumber. A few long moments of silence draw out as he holds his breath.

When Tommy settles back down, still as asleep as ever, Alex buries his face into his arms and finally allows himself to cry.

~*~

When Alex and Tommy finally step off the train (with nothing but a blanket each), the platform is teeming with people. Alex sees families sobbing with joy as they embrace their loved ones. He looks away shamefully from those who cry and wail in pain when the soldier they are looking for does not appear.

Those soldiers were the brave ones, Alex thinks. They were the ones who showed true courage. They were the ones who should've come back to hug their wives, their parents, their children.

And what has he done?

He survived.

Alex is pulled from his thoughts when he hears a loud shriek, followed by the call of Tommy's name. He turns, and so does Tommy. His friend is immediately hit by the weight of you crashing into him, throwing your arms around his neck and clinging to him tightly. You're crying in relief, and after a moment of shock, Tommy lets out a small sob as well, lifting you from the ground and pressing hard kisses to your hair.

"Thank God!" you sob, the words muffled against Tommy's shoulder, "Thank God!"

Alex feels slightly awkward just standing there and watching the situation unfold, especially when an older couple with teary eyes hurries over and engulfs Tommy in a hug as well. Alex assumes that they're Tommy's parents, and you're his girlfriend (or his fiancée).

Alex knows that he won't be seeing any loved ones waiting for him on the platform. After his mother passed away, his father had become harsh and controlling. Alex's last encounter with his father had been filled with shouts and insults. With a slam of the front door, he'd left for the station and boarded the train that would take him to war.

He doesn't know where his father is, or if he's still living at the same address, or if he even wants to see him. So, he stands there uncomfortably as Tommy becomes reacquainted with his loved ones, kissing cheeks and shaking hands and hugging them tightly—really, Alex notices, there's so much hugging.

"Alex," Tommy finally gasps out, his voice thick, "This is my mum and my dad, and my kid sister, Y/N."

Alex shakes hands with Tommy's parents, and he holds out his hand for yours as well, but you've got a completely different idea.