Chapter 22

As I made my way down the hallway toward the bustling lunchroom, my attention was abruptly captured by a multitude of flyers adorning the walls. They were everywhere, practically wallpapering the corridor with their vibrant colors and eye-catching designs.

Intrigued by the sheer quantity, I felt compelled to halt my steps and examine one of these posters up close. With a swift motion, I ripped a flyer from its place, feeling a slight crinkle as it separated from the wall. 

Ivanhoe College Family Fair Weekend (on campus)
FOOD – GAMES – RIDES
Saturday 14th – Sunday 15th March
10:00am-10:00pm

My heart sank as I stood there, reading the word 'Family' over and over again on the flyer. Mason lingered nearby, his presence a comforting weight over my shoulder. The mention of a "family fair weekend" stirred a mix of emotions within me—uncertainty, fear, and a desperate longing to reach out to my parents.

"Are you going?" Mason's voice broke through my thoughts, and I found myself grappling with the unknown. Would my parents even come? To find out, I had to make that dreaded call, and just the thought of it made perspiration bead on my forehead.

"Not sure," I replied hesitantly, my gaze drifting back to the day I left home, swallowing the lump lodged in my throat. Feeling the ghost of hurt along my jaw where my mother's bible had collided with my face. Slowly, I began making my way toward the cafeteria, with Mason silently trailing behind me.

We settled down at our usual table, Mason taking the seat in front of me, just before Lexi and Zach arrived. Despite the weight on my mind, I didn't want to offend Mason by not inquiring about his family's attendance, even though I knew they weren't around. The dilemma gnawed at me—should I reveal the information Jim had shared with me, or should I feign ignorance? Which choice would hurt Mason less? I had no answer.

"So, are you going to the 'family fair weekend'?" I asked, forcing an artificial excitement into my voice when uttering the words "family fair weekend." Mason took a sip of water and wiped his mouth with his sleeve, his gaze chilling.

"Jimmy told you, didn't he?" He glanced up from beneath his lashes, his tone laced with a touch of flatness.

"Yeah, but don't be angry with him. I practically pried it out of him," I responded, trying to ensure that Jim wouldn't face Mason's wrath later on.

"It's fine, Quinn. You're actually the one person I don't mind knowing about it. Jim knows how I feel about you," he said, biting into a meatball on his fork slowly, his eyes locked on mine.

"How you feel about me?" I swallowed hard, feeling a surge of emotions welling up inside me. He ran his hand through his hair and opened his mouth to speak, and in that fleeting moment, it felt as though time itself stood still.

"Quinnie the pooh! Have you seen the flyers?" Lexi's voice called out from a short distance away, her hurried footsteps echoing in the cafeteria. Mason muttered a curse under his breath and kicked a nearby chair, the frustration evident as he continued eating.

"Lex, that's the worst nickname yet," I winced, flicking a piece of fruit playfully in her direction.

"And yes, I've seen them. I'm not sure if I really want to go," I replied, stabbing my food with a sudden surge of aggression.

"Quinn, you should at least give them a call. Let them know how well you're doing and the changes you've made," Zach chimed in as he sat down beside Lexi, planting a kiss on her temple before delving into a conversation about cover songs with Tommy.

"Well, I can't exactly tell them about my job, considering I don't have one anymore," I muttered quietly, feeling a wave of pessimism crash over me, trying to suppress memories of that night—Mason's bare chest pressed against mine.

"We could use a sound technician," Mason interjected, offering a glimmer of hope.
"Since we could 'use some work'," he added, his smile laced with the memory of our early conversations. I was amazed that he still remembered—the day I had seen him with that girl in the library. Scanning the cafeteria, I noticed Malia, the one spreading rumours about his romantic escapades, bending over in an attempt to catch Mason's attention. He didn't even spare her a glance. Something had undoubtedly changed since the day our paths first crossed.

"As awesome as that sounds, I need a paying job to cover tuition. I can't afford to fall behind," I said, nervously biting my nails, desperately trying to come up with more ideas.

"We'd pay you. I'm good for it, Quinn," Zach reassured me, leaning his arm on Mason's shoulder.

"A friend of Lexi's is a friend of mine... and there's also the whole thing with Mason..." Mason playfully shoved Zach's face away, while Lexi cupped Zach's face in her hands and planted a resounding kiss on his lips.

"What he's trying to say is, you've got the job if you want it," Mason concluded, ruffling Zach's hair.

I didn't know what to say. Having friends who looked out for me was a luxury I had never experienced before. It made me feel undeserving, unworthy of their kindness.

"Thanks, guys. I won't let you down, cross my heart. I'll even be your coffee bitch," I smiled, crossing my heart with my finger.

The rest of the day passed by quickly, but my mind remained consumed by the impending task of contacting my parents about the fair. Should I call them or visit them in person? What would they say? Had I done enough? Was I enough? Doubts swirled in my mind, leaving me with a profound sense of uncertainty.

 Should I call them or visit them in person? What would they say? Had I done enough? Was I enough? Doubts swirled in my mind, leaving me with a profound sense of uncertainty