Chapter 71

Layla's POV

My heart was beating fast, my fingers curling up as my breathing grows heavy.

"What?" I manage to whisper, my voice cracking and filling with increasing anger and hurt.

They never killed grandma.

Heidi stares at me, sorrowfully.

She died four months ago.

"I'm so sorry, Layla." She whispers, standing up.

Why the hell was she telling me this now? After all those years...

As the information fully begins to settle in, my vision begins to blur, my breaths increasing audibly and I try to calm myself down.

But fail. As I watch Heidi approach me from around the table.

"Don't come near me." I spat out, but she continues to walk towards me.

"I SAID DONT COME NEAR ME!" I scream, finally losing my shit and she jumps, stopping in her tracks.

"I-I can explain, please.." she stutters glancing at the open door with a nervous look.

"I'm sick of your excuses!" I snap, hitting my fist against the table. "How can you possibly explain this? You knew how much she meant to me!" My voice grows louder again, a thick tear rolling down my cheek, feeling like my heart had been stabbed.

"I-I..." She trails off, her mouth opening and closing as her eyes fill up with guilt, clearly loss for words and I release a sob.

"How can you keep this from me? After eight years..." My voice cracks, anger boiling once again as I stare at her speechless face.

"HOW COULD YOU?" I yell and she jumps again, lowering her gaze.

"You knew all along. That was the plan, right? You say you're sorry, if you were you would've told me–"

"Don't talk to her like that." I hear a snappy voice cut me off, and I crane my neck, my gaze meeting mums cold ones as she steps into the kitchen.

"Shut your mouth." I spit out, as dad enters glaring at Heidi, they both had clearly heard everything.

"Why did you tell her?" He snaps at her, his eyes narrowing. "I clearly told you not–"

"SHUT UP!" I scream at him, feeling so hurt as I glare at him. Another tear rolling down my cheek, as I begin to tremble with rage.

"How could you do that to me? How sick are you guys to make me think you had fucking killed her for all these wasted years?!" I continue to scream.

"No one said we killed her. Its just what your dumb brain thought." Mum snaps back. "We actually just drugged her and sent her here in America with one of my good relatives. You actually thought I'd kill my own mother?" She spits, her cheeks reddening with anger.

My heart clenched painfully as I release an angry sob. "Why?" I grit out, my voice cracking.

"Why? Because she was better here rather than there with no company. I was always busy with my own family, thought she could be happier here." She glares at me, gaining pleasure from the pain from my eyes.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I sob again. "At least before she died so I could've seen her one last time." My voice kept cracking as the pain was beginning to grow unbearable.

It hurt so much that I didn't know about this. All the years I could've spent with her. My life would be so different right now if I did move in with her. I'd be happier. Not weak.