LXV

In my life, there's been heartache and pain
I don't know if I can face it again
Can't stop now, I've travelled so far
To change this lonely life
~ Foreigner, I Wanna Know What Love Is

"Where are we going?" I follow Erik down the steps and onto the sidewalk outside of my complex. His car is sitting waiting for us rather than the motorcycle I know he babies.

"We are going on our first official date." Erik opens the door and waits for me to get in, "you know, I don't bite unless you ask me to."

I smile at his cheekiness and good mood, something that I am getting used to. He seems to smile more when he is around me, a smile that actually reaches his eyes.

"I'll let you know if I want to take up your offer." I laugh as I follow him down the stairs. His good mood is contagious.

His smile spreads across his face as he pulls me into a hug.

"What's with the good mood?" I laugh at him as he lets me go.

"What, you don't like it?"

"I do, I really do, but I've never seen this side of you."

"Maybe it's because we are finally going on an actual date."

"You're telling me all those nights we snuck off the bus during the night, weren't dates?" I slide into the front seat and wait for him to start the car.

"Those were adventures, what we are doing tonight is a journey."

"Lead the way." He reaches for my hand and intertwines our fingers before pulling out into traffic.

"You're actually a pretty good driver," I comment as I lean my head against the headrest and look at him as he drives.

"Excuse you?" He glances at me before looking back at the road, "are you only saying that because I grew up in Britain for a short period of time?"

"No, I'm saying it because of the incident at the airport."

"That was a cart! Big difference."

"You still hit that woman." I point out to him, causing both of us to laugh.

"I'm just lucky her son recognized us. She looked like one of those I want to speak to your manager type people, but a fair point. Nah, I'm a great driver, Devon and I used to drive this really old van around the city for gigs."

"Do you ever wish things would have turned out differently in your life? You've just seen so much pain and heartache," I ask as we zip through the suburbs and into the city.

"Sometimes I do, but then I remember because of what I've gone through, I'm now accomplishing my dreams with a woman I never thought I would ever have in my life. Every time I look at you I'm reminded of just how lucky I am. I feel like every day is worth the time and effort with you." Erik doesn't look at me when he talks as he focuses on the road, "I've been alive for almost thirty years now and no one has made me feel the way you make me feel."

"You're gonna make me cry." I tease as him as I give his hand a tight squeeze and bring our intertwined hands up to my lips to press a kiss against them. I would love to kiss him, but I value our lives more than my overwhelming desire to kiss him right now.

"Great, you're gonna be a sobbing mess even before we get there. What are you gonna be like when we get there?" Erik teases me, but this time he looks at me with a taunting look.

"I will not be a sobbing mess, I promise."

"Right, and I'm the queen of England." Erik scoffs at me.