Chapter 63

Chapter Sixty Three

We pulled into Woody's driveway around daybreak amidst the sound of thunder. 

Sebastian put up the top of his convertible and escorted me inside the little mountain cottage just as the rain started falling in a sheet of water. I stepped into the living room, shaking out my mildly wet hair and taking off my jacket, which had taken the brunt of the rain.

Sebastian eyed it cryptically.

"Does Woodrow own a dryer?" he grunted, looking around the cottage. 

"Yeah, he's washed my clothes a few times since I've been here," I admitted, nodding at the wicker laundry basket sitting down at the very end of the hall. "I'll put it in there, but if you need anything dried yourself, feel free to add it in."

"Hn," was his noncommittal reply; kneeling down, he unlaced his boots and took them off one at a time, kicking them away and setting them by the door. After a moment he then hung his leather jacket on the coat rack beside the front door and stripped off his skintight tank top.

His muscled abdomen rippled like a burnished bronze sculpture as he balled the article of clothing up and headed down the hallway leading to the two small bedrooms and the bathroom. Outside the open windows, which had a great view of the mountains, rain fell like a waterfall and lightning flashed, followed by quick cracks of thunder, making the lights flicker. 

I stood looking out the window at the oncoming sunrise hiding behind the storm clouds until Sebastian came back. 

A warm hand settled on my right shoulder and I instinctively raised my own to hold it there.

"The world feels different," I said absently, staring at the steadily lightening sky. "Knowing that you and I are officially a couple now... everything feels like its changed. But it hasn't, has it?"

"No," he murmured, and his other hand came up to touch my healed throat; on the way back to the mountains, I'd noticed that the pain had faded fairly quickly and had been a little awed to discover that the saliva he'd coated my neck with was to blame. 

"It still feels unreal," I sighed, leaning back against his bare chest in contentment. "My life is so different now... do you ever feel overwhelmed by change?"

His fingers drifted down my neck and across my back, setting my hair on end and making me tingle under his sensitivity-inducing touch.

"I do... at times."

I finally twisted and looked up at him, smiling a little. "You and I... we're officially dating."

His eyes were back to their former amber, but they were soft as they looked at me. "We are."

His butterscotch irises were so hypnotizing when he wasn't angry... like warm honey slathered over hot toast. My pulse throbbed in my wrist and throat, dancing across my scalp, not unlike the heady warmth inside my chest. He was so close... I could drown in this feeling. I could drown in the foreign flames that couldn't seem to decide if they wanted me to feel good or bad like I always did when he was around. 

It was easy to forget how long I had been a sad, lonely person with him. 

He let out a surprised grunt as I looped my arms around his waist and pressed my lips against his bare chest. I let out a sigh through my nose as his giant presence shadowed me like an invisible blanket. I relaxed, comforted by the feeling of his heart pounding against my mouth.

He growled, deep in his throat, his hand going from cupping my face to holding it tightly and those mesmerizing eyes didn't look away or blink until I did.