Chapter 53

Ariel's POV

"Just stall him a bit longer, okay Nick?" I motion for Landon and Bryce to also move the vase and put it into storage.

"We're trying but today's his birthday and he's been complaining all practice about having to attend football practice today." He whispers to ensure that Adam doesn't hear.

"Not to mention that he thinks he'll be spending the day with you afterwards, that only adds to his rush to get home." He continues as I hear shuffling in the background.

"Yeah, well..." I sigh. "It's a party. Adam loves parties, I doubt he'll be disappointed that we threw him one instead of boringly hanging out with me." I roll my eyes although I know that he can't see me.

"I don't know..." He sounds unsure. "He hasn't really been siked about anything like parties since he got together with you." He reasons.

"Not to mention that I doubt Josh's bad singing of the song 'Happy Birthday' will hold him off any longer. He looks quite annoyed." He explains.

I quickly rush around the house, giving the guys knowing looks to remind them that they should move a bit faster, all while balancing the phone between my shoulder and ear.

"Uhm, just make up an excuse to get you to drive and don't forget to drive slowly," I say. "Entertain him with your weird ways, Josh is weird enough as it is, get him to do something. Anything." I speak into the phone as I adjust the knobs on the set to ensure that the music will be just right.

"Roger that." He says like a cadet. "We'll see you when we get back. Bye sweetheart." He ends.

"Okie, bye. Mwah." I say into the phone as I blow him a kiss and quickly end the call, throwing it into the chair.

I dash into the kitchen to find Libby. I find her in the cabinets, taking out a few bottles of alcohol.

Sure we shouldn't be drinking but we made sure that we stashed away all the other bottles tightly. A few bottles never hurt anyone and it would be easier because this way, no one can get drunk and cause problems on our watch.

To be extra sure, Bryce'll be managing the alcohol and giving anyone that had more than two shots a wristband, which indicates that they shouldn't have anymore.

That shit is hard to take off.

Even if they do get it off, Bryce knows faces, at least that's what he said.

"Everything good in here?" I rub my hands together nervously.

"Perfect," Libby assures me. "Relax, Ariel. It'll be fine." She laughs at my flustered state.

I roll my eyes as I exit the kitchen to look for Landon. I'm sure that he's walking about this big mansion doing something or the other.

"Landon!" I shout when I spot him in the hallway.

"Yeah, what's up?" He stops and turns his attention to me.

"Are these all the names that'll be attending? Only Adam's friends?" I raise an eyebrow as I motion to the clipboard full of names that I had just recently taken from the table.

"Only the people that he fucks with. Having friends and acquaintances aren't the same thing, muffin." He flicks my forehead.

I roll my eyes at his bluntness.

"Could you give me a more specific answer, please?" I deadpan as I rest my hand on my hip.

"Do you always give Adam this sort of attitude?" He points his finger at me.