VII - Scintilla

VII - Scintilla

scin·til·la
/sinˈtilə/
noun
a tiny trace or spark of a specified quality or feeling.

🍁

Jessica was rooted to her spot. She couldn't move. She was too transfixed on Noah. Or rather too bothered by Noah's condition. There's this deep sense of arduous worry settling in her chest. Why is his head wrapped in cloth? Why is he limping? Before she could think of her words she asked,  "Oh my God, are you okay?"

She went to him. "I'm fine." Noah replied staring at her. His head didn't seem to be hurting now that he has seen her.

"No you're not." Jess didn't care if she sounded stressed to hell. She didn't expect him to show up looking so battered. "What happened to you?" She inspected him and saw a gash on his head that's peeking out of the cloth. She gasped, covering her mouth with her hands. She touched his head.

Noah was enjoying seeing her like this. It may sound evil, getting happy with her concern but he was glad  because he knew she cared about him despite their little time with each other. "I'm really okay though."

"Would you like to come in?" She asked before she could stop herself.

Noah's eyes went wide but she only stared at him, waiting for his answer. Seeing her was enough, going inside her house is another thing.

"I'm really fine, there's no need-"

"No, I insist." Stubborn pretty girl. Noah thought. He smiled inwardly.

"Okay." He realized it was hard to refuse her.

Jess led them inside her flat. Her brothers were at work leaving them alone. It did not occur to her that she just invited a guy inside her house. But when she did realized, it was too late. Noah had already made himself at home, sitting in her couch staring at her. Now, she don't know what to do.

"U-uhm. Would you like anything?" Noah didn't like how she was intimidated by him. Although he was glad she was not scared of him but he didn't want to intimidate her.

Jess waited for an answer but he was staring at her. Way too long for her liking. She was intimidated to say the least and she was the most awkward person so she didn't know what to do. "Do you want water or---" she let the question hang, waiting for him to tell her what he likes.

You. Noah almost said. He reprimanded himself. He was here to see her, not to scare her away.

"Water will be fine." He said finally.

"Okay, I'll get you water."

Jess wanted to get out of the living room so she hurried to the kitchen. There was this tension in the air and she almost feels suffocated that she wanted to get out.

Noah watched her, fascination lacing his eyes. He felt his lips tug upwards, when was the last time he smiled? Especially towards a girl? The answer was never. He never smiled towards the opposite sex. The only woman he ever smiled at was his mom.

His eyes roamed around the interior of her apartment. It was simple. Cream colored walls, a tv set, a few ornaments here and there but he noticed she didn't have pictures of herself nor her family. Probably because it was only an apartment, it could never be home. Noah concluded.

Meanwhile, soft curses can be heard at the kitchen. Did they ran out of water? Their water dispenser had no water in it. She cursed again. Her eyes caught something. Maybe this will do, she thought to herself. Sorry Noah.

Later, she emerged from the kitchen water in hand. Noah was too busy glancing around that he didn't notice her.

She cleared her throat. He looked at her then. She looks so tiny compared to him. He could easily wrap her up in his arms. He almost sighed at the thought.