[ CHAPTER EIGHTEEN ]

1002, southern france

The ride to the castle had been tiresome and dreadful, though it had appeared as if the castle was merely down the road, however, it turned out the journey was much longer than they had initially anticipated

Riding in the carriage had been strange for them all, they would usually ride horseback so the carriage had been a bemusing change, but Astrid had firmly decided she preferred horseback.

Though according to Lucien, apparently it wasn't deemed lady like for a woman to saddle ride a horse.

Besides her, Rebekah seemed to be enjoying the whole experience, her leg had been bouncing in anticipation throughout the journey, much to Kol's annoyance.

The two siblings had spent the entire ride bickering, which was probably why it felt as if they'd been in the carriage for hours.

But fortunately, they had finally arrived at the De Martel castle.

The castle itself was extraordinary; tall brick walls, archway windows with grand balconies and a vast garden full of hedge mazes and vibrant flowers.

It was evident the De Martel's were profusely wealthy and proud, though Astrid wasn't too concerned about their cover, after all, it wasn't these so-called nobles they would have to worry about.

If their plan was foiled, they would simply have to kill them all or flee, both of which would risk their chances of being discovered by Mikael.

Smiling at the outstretched hand of her husband, Astrid gracefully accepted his help as she stepped down from the carriage, eyes darting to take in her surroundings.

Several armed guards and servants were stood awaitingly around the carriage as Lucien stepped forward.

The guard holding a rather sharp sword, took a step towards Lucien, brows furrowed. "Lucien, you were sent to retreat Count De Guise." The guard commented, eyeing the six luxuriously dressed figures behind him.

All of them looked too young to be Count De Guise.

Swallowing nervously, Lucien nodded. "He's indisposed of- gout, he has sent his children in his place." Lucien informed the guard.

It technically wasn't a lie; Count De Guise had complained how he was suffering from gout in the carriage as he groped his young mistress in front of his relatives.

Nodding, believing Lucien, the guard bowed politely. "My Lords, My Ladies. Count De Martel is awaiting your presence in the throne room, please allow us to escort you there."

'Well that was easy enough' Astrid thought, her hand linking with Nik's as the guard lead them through the large door of the castle, they trailed through the foyer and towards the grand oak doors that assumingly lead to the throne room.