14: Madame Kristine's Etiquette Class

I stared at the small box in front of me.

Should I open it?

I was curious to find out what was inside it, but I also didn't want to be emotional about it afterwards.  After another moment, I grabbed the box and shoved it deep inside one of my cabinets.

I decided to keep Zayden's present unopened.

I took my bag off of where it was hanging and rushed down the stairs.  Henry drove me to school, with me being slightly nervous—and lazy—about driving.

When I entered my classroom, five minutes before class starts, instead of the teacher sitting at his desk, on the board at the front of the table were large block letters that read:

MADAME KRISTINE'S CLASSES IN ROOM 15 IN WEST HALL

I groaned. At Lockwood Academy, once a month we had manners and etiquette lessons for an entire day.  I quickly went to my locker to put away all my things because I wouldn't be needing them, and made my way to the west hall, where Madame Kristine was no doubt preparing our lesson.

When I got there, a few students were already there.  Groups of people were talking in low, tired tones, and freshmen huddled around their newly-made friends in confused chatter.  I looked around the tables and the name cards on each table, and finally found myself in one of the most center tables.  I looked at the other names and grinned when I saw Kyle's name on one of them.

"Why are you so happy?" Suddenly, a low voice said from behind me, and I twirled around.  Kyle was standing there, casually running a hand down his blonde hair.  "Are these etiquette classes fun?"

I shook my head.  "They're super boring and ridiculous."

Kyle smirked, "so were you happy about being able to sit next to me?"

"What? No, I just—" I started rambling, completely caught off guard.  But it was obvious he saw straight through my lie, and decided to answer honestly.

"In fact, yes I am happy to be able to sit next to you.  Just about everyone here doesn't want to hang out with me, and quite frankly you're the only person who's around me at their own will."  The moment I said my last sentence, I felt my cheeks flame.  Kyle wasn't hanging out with me at his own will, this was literally his job.  I felt like more of a loner than I usually did, and I looked down at my toes.

But instead of embarrassing me, Kyle said, "I have grown fond of your company."  He smiled kindly at me, and  my heart skipped a beat at the sudden emotion he was showing.  

"Is this where I have to pull out the seat for you?" He asked, and pulled out my chair for me.  I thanked him in an overly polite way, and he went over to sit at his own chair.  We talked for a little while until people were crowding inside and it was literally impossible to hear my own voice.  That's what happens when you put an entire high school body inside one room.

"Ladies and gentlemen, if you would so kindly take a seat!" Madame Kristine's voice echoed through the class as she talked into her bullhorn. Yes, you needed a bullhorn in able to be heard from the back of the room.  

Madame Kristine was a short, petite woman with a halo of curly blond hair around her head.  She was probably near her 60's, even though she looked more in her mid 40's.  She yapped on about table manners, and how to use a napkin when wiping around the mouth, and a whole bunch of other things no one felt like listening to.

"Now, we will be serving a small appetizer," Madame Kritine said, and everyone started whispering excitedly. I felt my own spirits being lifted.